Getting my 1983 GS650G road ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting my 1983 GS650G road ready

I'm not real sure where to post this but I'd rather not post 100 different question threads so I hope this works out. Here is my story. Back in July I got a 650G. I have spent a lot of time reading manuals and these forums/Bikecliff's site to get myself ready to do the work. I have already done an oil change, new front tire, new rear tire going on tomorrow, boot o-rings changed, Steve did a wonderful job on my carbs, and I have most of the parts I need purchased.

Here is what I have left to do. 1st is valve shims. Then put carbs back on while changing throttle and choke cables and syncing the carbs. All three brake calipers need to be done as well as new brake lines. All of this work is a first to me so I'm looking for good tips with the specific hang ups that I have that I can't easily find tips for by searching the forums.

My current issue is removing the cam cover. All the bolts came out easy but I can't get the cover off. I've knocked it around a little with a rubber mallet but can't seem to jar it loose. Any tips on how to unstick it? Once I get it off I feel good about my ability to do the rest of the work on this project.

Thanks in advance on any tips for this and future questions I might have.

If it is like the 1100g, there is one more cam cover screw that is hard to spot, next to the cam chain area.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
      If it is like the 1100g, there is one more cam cover screw that is hard to spot, next to the cam chain area.
      I removed 17 total and the 4 for the breather cover. I don't see anymore to remove.

Comment

OK, you got all 17 (plus 4). Sometimes you will encounter a very "thoughtful" previous owner who has used some gasket sealer. You will basically have to wedge a putty knife into the gasket area, being careful to not gouge any surfaces. Once you have it started, you should be able to work your way around.

Some earlier bikes (I don't remember which ones) had locator barrels on opposite corners of the valve cover to locate the cover positively. The parts fiche does not show them for your bike.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          OK, you got all 17 (plus 4). Sometimes you will encounter a very "thoughtful" previous owner who has used some gasket sealer. You will basically have to wedge a putty knife into the gasket area, being careful to not gouge any surfaces. Once you have it started, you should be able to work your way around.

Some earlier bikes (I don't remember which ones) had locator barrels on opposite corners of the valve cover to locate the cover positively. The parts fiche does not show them for your bike.

Perfect, thanks for the tip. There are locator barrels on the front left and rear right. Luckily I've got some patience and didn't try to hammer through them. Now to scrape off the gasket and clean the debris out of the area so I can get at the shim measurements.

Comment

The 650G works with the twinpot brake upgrade.... It's likely a similar cost to rebuilding the stock calipers after you've sold on the rotors. Just an idea for you.

I'm currently (very slowly!) putting together an 1100G
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              The 650G works with the twinpot brake upgrade.... It's likely a similar cost to rebuilding the stock calipers after you've sold on the rotors. Just an idea for you.

I'm currently (very slowly!) putting together an 1100G
              Thanks for the tip. I did a little reading and it doesn't seem I have the tools or time to deal with it right now. Looks like a good future project though.

Spending too much time trying to carefully scrape this glue and paper gasket out without throwing too much debris where it shouldn't be. I'm thinking about trying to dampen the gasket to maybe get it to hold together better and not crumble as much. Maybe oil would be better than water for this? Then I'm thinking I could use oil dampened q-tips to dab out pieces of gasket that are in the valve shim area? If anyone has dealt with this before and has a tip I'd be happy to hear it.

Comment

Working...
              X