1982 GS750E Monoposto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS750E Monoposto

I just finished a semi-custom restoration of an '82 GS750E. I always liked early GS's but did not care for the long bench seat or the way the logos and stripes all slanted towards the middle of the bike, giving it a swayback look. And the rear tail section just sticks out the back a bit too far in my opinion. To accomplish my goal I removed 5" from the rear by cutting the subframe and moving it up and forward, welding it on top of the main frame.

I found this bike rode hard and left outside wet a while back although it ran great. No engine teardown was needed but the rest of the bike was a full restoration down to every last bolt. List of mods is below the pic, no changes to suspension geometries or riding stance.

1982 GS750E .jpg

• Removed 5” from rear subframe by cutting behind shock mount, lifting the cut off section on top of the frame rail and sliding it forward 5” then welding subframe on top of remaining frame
    • Raised rear of fuel tank 2”
    • Raised side cover mounts 2”
    • New single seat with handmade wooden base
    • Stripped, degreased and painted engine with VHT paint then baked to cure
    • Replaced large “dashboard” type instrument cluster with separate tach/speedo units, cut down instrument stalk between the gauges to remove gear indicator and fuel gauge
    • Replaced front turn signals with smaller ones. Integrated rear turn signals into side cavities in taillight
    • Replaced stock handlebars with superbike bend handlebar
    • Modified front fender (shortened)
    • Powdercoated frame and wheels
    • New paint on all body panels with hand pinstriping to reflect original stripe design and colors
    • Stainless steel Galfer brake lines, rebuilt brake masters and calipers, new brake pads
    • Stock exhaust with Ceracote "chrome" finish
    • New sprockets and drive chain
    • Progressive shocks
    • New Continental tires

1982 GS750E Monoposto

This is what I started with:
    '82 GS750 Before.jpg

Comment

Awesome! Really like the finished product. You have talent my friend.
      No signature :(

Comment

Great Work! Nice subtle, effective upgrades
        1982 GS650e - Cafe or Scrambler...that is the question...

Comment

Nice end result, but the original had been hacked around horribly by some POs, giving it that look you didn't like.
          Seems to be a mixture of bits in there, of 'L' and 'non-L'.
          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I really like what you did here! One minor nitpick, find a way to get rid of that wrinkle on the seat cover, it's the only thing keeping it from looking 100% professional.

Comment

Looks good. I like that the shock mount gusset is still in place. I hate when the cafe guys simply cut that part off and leave the remnant open and unfinished.
              The raised tank makes the engine look smaller due to the newfound space around it. Not a criticism, just an observation....
              Last edited by dorkburger; 09-25-2019, 10:20 AM.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by tosaw View Post
                I really like what you did here! One minor nitpick, find a way to get rid of that wrinkle on the seat cover, it's the only thing keeping it from looking 100% professional.
                looks good, not butchered, but its amateur hour until the seat gets fixed
                GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Amateur hour?? Wow. The seat has a crease in it (on both sides... oh, the horror!) because the cover is a single piece of vinyl stretched across multiples complex curves. There is no way to "tuck" or stretch it out of existence. The only way to eliminate it is to have a proper cover sewn and I will likely do that this winter.

But "amateur hour" considering the rest of the build and mods? What a stupid statement.
                  Last edited by DucatiDave; 09-25-2019, 01:39 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=DucatiDave;2565105 But "amateur hour" considering the rest of the build and mods? What a stupid statement.[/QUOTE]

You've done a lot of cleaning and maintenance and personalized the bike and it looks good other than the seat upholstery. I wouldn't call it a "build" and i don't see a lot of "mods" it looks pretty stock, which is good.
                    But the poorly done seat takes away from the otherwise good looking bike and makes it look homemade and amateur hour.

and speaking of stupid statements .....

"New single seat with handmade wooden base"

and welcome to the forum
                    Last edited by derwood; 09-27-2019, 04:35 PM.
                    GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Looks good to me. I don't know what the proper definition of "build" is. But there is clearly a lot of nice detailed work here. Nicely done. I'd ride it with pride.

Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

[QUOTE=derwood;2565146]You've done a lot of cleaning and maintenance and personalized the bike and it looks good other than the seat upholstery. I wouldn't call it a "build" and i don't see a lot of "mods" it looks pretty stock, which is good.
                        But the poorly done seat takes away from the otherwise good looking bike and makes it look homemade and amateur hour.

and speaking of stupid statements .....

"New single seat with handmade wooden base"

So what exactly, oh wise one, is stupid about that statement?

And please enlighten me on what constitutes a "build". You say I "did a lot of cleaning and maintenance...", did you even read the list of changes made to the bike?
                        Last edited by DucatiDave; 09-25-2019, 07:02 PM.

Comment

OK, I'll bite

Now, a wooden seat base has no place on a motorcycle, even if it is hand made.
                          (aren't all wooden motorcycle seats handmade?)

You posted the picture, do you not expect responses?
                          I said it looked good other than the (ugly seat). I'm not the only person to say so.
                          you took offence and posted the "stupid statement " remark.

of course I read your list
                          sorry, but I guess i just don't like the term build (but I do like parentheses) and I don't see a lot of mods in your list.

so I posted something back...

oh wise one, enlighten me? thanks, I'm flattered

spend some time over the winter and make a nice looking seat with a metal or fiberglass base. (it needs a little rear fender)

you're welcome
                          GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

I like it! Some nice work you have done to get it looking so good!
                            Ron
                            When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/core/images/smilies/cool.png
                            1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                            1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                            1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                            1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Top is "before", bottom is "after"? You changed the seat, exhaust, took the red off the cams?

You certainly cleaned it up and it looks nice (didn't read the whole thread yet). I wouldn't berate any of your work, but I do think a better ($) seat would do wonders for it's looks.

I've always been drawn to the seats on bikes. Back in the 1970's, getting a new, custom seat was big. HUGE.

Seats are big visual draws on bikes - right up there with engines and tanks. Hell, they've already covered up the engines and much of the tanks.
                              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                              X