Squisher's GS1100EZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squisher's GS1100EZ

This is a bit of a going through to clean up/restore my gs11. Not a crazy rebuild or mod like some of the threads I've seen here. But I wanted a place to keep track of things and ask questions rather than start a bunch of different threads.

Here is the bike as it came to me and after a good washing.

IMG_2193.jpg
    82 GS1100E
    01 cbr f4i
    13 ninja 300

Here it is today. Starting the teardown. I do plan to tear it right down and clean/paint everything. Replacing the bits that need it and restoring/using what I can.

I apologize for my picture posting. I have tried hosting sites in the past with no success after much frustration of trying to set it all up. I only use a iPad, no computer ever.

IMG_2043.jpg
    82 GS1100E
    01 cbr f4i
    13 ninja 300

Comment

First question. Exhaust. This is a supertrapp silencer on the bike. Atleast there are supertrapp discs and endcap in it and all that looks as I'd expect. But the missing label/emblem on the outside has thrown me a bit. I'm only familiar with 'supertrapp' being stamped into the pipe itself. Not as an attachable/riveted on label. Thoughts? Also any advice on whether it's worth trying to salvage this exhaust with the damage pictured?

IMG_2192.jpg
      82 GS1100E
      01 cbr f4i
      13 ninja 300

Comment

I have that exhaust.

When I first got the bike in '05

After I had the system powder coated

And a recent photo
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Thank you for that info and pictures. Also helps me out to see the center stand functional with it as mine didn't come with one, but I'd like to put one back on.

Curious if ill I'll be able to locate the emblem anywhere. I've tried searching the web, but maybe not getting the keywords proper. I may not be able to salvage this pipe anyways if I don't get the damage cleaned up enough to satisfy me I'll have to find another exhaust anyhow.

Very nice bike you have. Thanks again for the pics.
          82 GS1100E
          01 cbr f4i
          13 ninja 300

Comment

Originally posted by Squisher View Post
            Thank you for that info and pictures. Also helps me out to see the center stand functional with it as mine didn't come with one, but I'd like to put one back on.

Curious if ill I'll be able to locate the emblem anywhere. I've tried searching the web, but maybe not getting the keywords proper. I may not be able to salvage this pipe anyways if I don't get the damage cleaned up enough to satisfy me I'll have to find another exhaust anyhow.

Very nice bike you have. Thanks again for the pics.
            Thanks...It looks a little better every year.

As for the emblem, did you try contacting Supertrapp?

Headquarters

SuperTrapp Industries. Inc.
            4540 W. 160th St.
            Cleveland, OH 44135

PH: 216.265.8400
            FX: 216.265.0130

sales@supertrapp.com
            Customer Service

PH: 216.265.8400
            FX: 216.265.0130

8 a.m. - 5 p.m. EST
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

No, but that's a great idea if it comes to that. I did search around their website some. But I think I'll clean up the pipe some before going that route. Haven't decided if I'll stick with this exhaust. The silencer is rough with that damage, missing emblem, and weird repair/welds by the mounting point. Also the header has a couple of scrapes/dents in it. So I'm really on the fence about whether it's worth the effort/expense or not.
              82 GS1100E
              01 cbr f4i
              13 ninja 300

Comment

I haven't sorted how to use a photo hosting site yet. But just wanted to update my progress. It's right down to the bare frame now, hoping to clean, prep, prime and paint the frame this week then I'll put up a pic or two again. Going to have a few questions before long when it comes time to reassemble/repair. But I've been doing a ton of research on this awesome site so trying to figure things out as best I can without pestering with questions that have been covered before.
                82 GS1100E
                01 cbr f4i
                13 ninja 300

Comment

FLICKR works for free photo hosting. There are a couple of other solutions people use now Photobucket has gone down the pan...
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I have tried to sort a photo hosting somethingorother. But long story short is I only have a ipad and it's oldish I guess as it won't update to the latest and greatest anymore and none of the photo hosting 'apps' will work on my outdated version and I couldn't get any to work without their apps. That's the concise version of the hours of my life I spent trying to sort it out.
                    82 GS1100E
                    01 cbr f4i
                    13 ninja 300

Comment

Have you tried Imgur? I use it for forum photo hosting and it works great.
                      Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                      2006 GSXR 750

Comment

I believe I tried both of those and they only support their apps now for use with a ipad. I couldn't sort how to make it work through the safari browser. I did spend a good chunk of very frustrating time trying to square it away. The stumbling block was my older pad, not being able to update to the latest ios new enough to work with their apps. I tried this ages ago too I recall for a different site and even when I had the app I still had trouble making it work. I'm not trying to blame technology as obviously it works for most. I'm sure the root of the problem lies with me. Computing is not a strong skill of mine. I end up feeling like a dog watching television after a bit and leaving off feeling less smart then when I started the journey.

i will give it another try I guess.
                        Last edited by Squisher; 10-29-2019, 02:00 AM.
                        82 GS1100E
                        01 cbr f4i
                        13 ninja 300

Comment

Love the 1100! They are fastest in red. Great looking bike.

I would suggest accessing Imgur and this forum through a web browser on a desktop PC or laptop. This forum was designed in the pre-smartphone/tablet/social media era so using a PC will make your life easier.

Once you've signed up for an Imgur account, you can drag and drop photos from your PC into Imgur to create a photo album. For example, below is my photo album.

To share a photo on the forum, click on the photo you want to share. Then copy paste the BBCode snippet below into your message. Your photo will then be displayed in your message.

Last edited by 80GS1000; 10-29-2019, 12:44 PM.
                          Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                          2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
                          X