850G Restore_Mod -- Head Scratcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850G Restore_Mod -- Head Scratcher

Got her home a couple weeks ago and have been removing pieces, cleaning and reinstalling. I also aired tires to correct psi, checked tank for rust, removed and cleaned plugs, removed and checked air filter, sanded tank, bled brakes and ordered two tires.

I'm torn ... I got the 850G simply to get a GS and get to know Suzuki. I would prefer to find a 750 or 1100 S and resto/mod, but for now, I'm getting to know the GS and slowly falling in love with it. I'm at a dilemma, I personally like a good resto/mode, cafe, street type build, but I do not like chopping a bike up either.

So since I just got the '83, I believe I'll clean her the quickest best possible, ride her over the summer, then make my decision. Although, part of me says, its an 850G, I can only mod out so much, so just do it. And by mod, I mean a quality rebuilt, stripped street cafe style, mostly body changes, engine work to solid, back to original, but with 4-1 Exhaust and tuned carbs.

The good: bones seem good, minimal bolt rust, good battery, starts solid runs OK (more later), prior owner somewhat sealed intake, rides good, steers good ... damn good feel.

The bad: new tires, will need repainting or change finish, dark oiled air filter crumbled in my hands, engine bogs with initial throttle twist at any RPM range, after running, idle will not settle in for a few seconds, plugs were wet and slightly gunked ...

New oil and air filter coming ... will change all fluids, tires, new air filter and see how she runs from there.

Appreciate any thoughts ...
    Attached Files

Hopefully upside down works for you ... always seems to correct later

Comment

GS7.jpg
      Correct this time

Comment

And again hopefully
        GS6.jpg

Comment

It would be a downright shame to chop that one up.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I am with Steve on this one. It is in real nice shape, tank is a bit rough but it is a great bike. I am a bit bias here as I have the same bike and love it. I tend to mod the basket case bikes I pick up for a few hundred ... or in some cases free ... and restore those that are in decent shape ... but that's me. What ever you decide to do enjoy the journey.
            GS550T 1981
            GS850G 1983
            GS650G 1982
            GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I'm with you guys. Going to do a summer mechanical refresh little by little, then maybe a complete disassemble winter '20 for a complete overhaul.

Comment

She is indeed in nice condition. I would keep that one whole, and find one really cheap to hack up. I'm not against the modded cafe thing, just hate to see a good one succumb to the sawsall...
                '83 GS 1100T
                The Jet

sigpic
                '95 GSXR 750w
                The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Thoughts?
                  It's a nice one
                  It's basically stock, but you just don't know what has/hasn't been done to it, so plan to go thru everything to minimize issues down the road.
                  It should run perfectly with stock airbox and pods. Reseal the airbox, clean the carbs, new air filter should solve that.
                  You've been to the BassCliff site? Almost all the information you'll need is in there
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Don't chop it up!!! If you want to chop something up, find a basket-case project. That's what I did. I found a GS750 that was incomplete and in ruins, to begin my cafe build.

Do a resto-mod if you want, but please no chopping!
                    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Working...
                    X