GS 1000 standard colours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1000 standard colours

Hi, can some please point me towards details of the original colours for GS1000’s?

I have run a couple of searches without a lot of luck. I am looking at a project bike and intrigued toif the colours are original.

Thanks

Muzza
    My Rides:
    2018 Z900RS
    1973 CB750 K3
    1979 GS1000S

I bet if you show us pictures, some members would know.

Welcome to the site.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
      I bet if you show us pictures, some members would know.

Welcome to the site.
      Thanks Rob, thanks for the thoughts. I think it's going to take me a week or two to match your number of posts but happy to give it a shot. I hope you are managing to keep safe up there in NYC.

Here is the bike. I can't really find a lot about the factory colours for GS1000's in any year including 1979. seems to be a bit of a tight held secret.

My loose plan to buy the bike for the pipes as I need a set for my GS1000S I am about to restore. Tidy this bike up and on sell (the 1000, not the 1000S) as my Garage getting a little small. It will be a bit of a project for self isolating in the garage over this coming winter.

The pipes are not perfect but they are still in reasonable nick and I have seen plenty worse. They do have some surface rust around the headers. I have seen mixed responses about re-chroming pipes but would be great if possible. I will explore. I am sure I have also seen headers for sale somewhere?

Very happy to take feedback on both the original colour of bike as well and thoughts around "re gifting" the pipes to my 1000S!

Cheers
      s-l1600.jpg
      My Rides:
      2018 Z900RS
      1973 CB750 K3
      1979 GS1000S

Comment

For the "78" & "79" models, the paints are shown on the parts fische, the section for fuel tanks. Didn't see it for the "80" models. Sorry, I don't know how to do links.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

looks like the original paintscheme for a GS1000E.

1979_GS1000E_master-ad_450.jpg
          Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
          Bikecliff's website
          The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Muzza AU View Post
            Hi, can some please point me towards details of the original colours for GS1000’s?

Welcome to TheGSR.

Looks stock, 79.
            VM carbs, solid brake disc, chrome fender. Although I notice lack of kickstarter, which I would attribute as 1980 or later, dont know what to say about that.
            Maybe recovered seat.
            Last edited by Redman; 04-13-2020, 12:27 PM. Reason: seat

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post

Welcome to TheGSR.

Looks stock, 79.
              VM carbs, solid brake disc, chrome fender. Although I notice lack of kickstarter, which I would attribute as 1980 or later.
              Doesn't appear to have a kick starter in the 79 ad?

No signature

Comment

Birthdays must be getting to you. No GS1000 ever had kickstarters, at least I don't remember any.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

That is the stock paint for a North American 1979 GS1000E.
                  Probably the bike is the the same.
                  Should have an E on the side cover badge. The handlebars are not stock nor are the headlight mount ears.
                  Nice looking bike. See a fork brace and oil cooler.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Dave, I think the kick starter was only on the 78 models.

Edit:. My bad. Guess I was thinking of the 78 750 models with the kick start.
                    Last edited by alke46; 04-13-2020, 01:35 PM.
                    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

About color:

Microfisch that list painted parts will list seperaet part number for each paint scheme offered that year. But it names the paint scheme by some code. One of the first pages of the microfisch expalins some of those codes by calling it, say, "red" when looks more like maroon. Those first few pages of microfisch are hard to find, since they dont have any part numbers of parts that are for sale. And tghe codes are not the "paint codes" that any paint mixer will recognise. THe valu of the code is that you can see if is same is used on other models and/or other years.

Each year was two or three paint schemes used on most all models. Although it seems to me that one scheme predominates over the others, in a particular year.

My observation (havent seen confirmation) is that each year had different accent stripes, even if base color is the same.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Hum, looked up 79 GS1000E right side panels.
                        List 3 numbers for that , but doesnt make any stetment about the colors, but I suspect that is what the diffence is. Maybe the vendor didnt bother to include that sionce they are not available for sale anyway. I recall seeing such descriptions before.

1 47111-49000-08D
                        COVER, FRAME RH
                        1 N
                        1 47111-49000-05L
                        COVER, FRAME RH
                        1 N
                        1 47111-49000-08E
                        COVER, FRAME RH
                        1 EN

Comment

Ok, seems like other folks are more familiar with the 78 & 79 than I.
                          (my direct experience has been 80 and 82s)

Comment

To clear up the speculation here:

The GS 1000 was the first production bike without a kick start.

To confirm from above, yes, that's a 79 E model in US colors

The pipes are exactly the same as your 79 S
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thank you all for the helpful info. Interesting that it sounds like it's an 1000E. I will receive the VIN and engine no today. I understand that the VIN will confirm that it's a 1000E. I think it might make a great project bike for the Aussie lockdown winter.

Cheers
                              My Rides:
                              2018 Z900RS
                              1973 CB750 K3
                              1979 GS1000S

Comment

Working...
                              X