Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1979 Suzuki GS1000L Seat and Handlebar options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 Suzuki GS1000L Seat and Handlebar options?

Hi all. 1st post!

My uncle gave me a unmolested 1979 GS1000L. Everything OEM... which is cool.

Carbs are/were a mess but already have them dipped and in the rebuild corner.

One of the fork seals is show so I have both dampeners off/redoing the seals and stuck me that this would be a good time to replace the handlebars given the access to the front brake T.

I have 0 inclination in doing anything that cannot be reversed/will keep all the original items but I would like to get the handlebar/riding position more in line with an E or S and likewise with the seat. All else will remain factory.

So... my questions are:

1- can I just buy a replacement throttle line set, clutch cable, front brake line from say an E or S and
    2- can I just buy an replacement seat for an E or S

and then install without any issue?

If not... what would you recommend?

Thanks so much and happy to be a part of the forum!

Yes & No. Cables & hose can be re-routed to work just fine, just won't look as clean & tucked in. "L" cables are longest, standard & "E" in middle, & "S" models are the shortest. Probably the superbike bars are the most popular, they're everywhere, too low for my liking but that's just me. If install low bars, be careful not to let the controls get into the sides of the fuel tank. I've seen bunches & bunches dented from this. I know of no other seat that will interchange with the "L". Remember, just my opinion.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Thank you sir.

If I cannot change my seat, I will leave the bike as is for sure. Both need to change in my opinion in order for the riding position to make sense to me. I would then just go to a less buckhorn like style but same height off the risers in order to avoid cable changes.

Just in the thinking stages now as the front end is off.

Comment

Wait a minute,For me, Those "L" bars are pretty bad, height & shape. If you can find something about 1/2 the rise of OEM, just a good avg. bar should be a huge improvement. I didn't mean the cables would look terrible, just not as tucked in as orig. Many of us, in my area, used lower bars with orig. cables & never thought anything about it. I didn't say there wasn't a seat that would work, I said I don''t know of one. Remember, most all you see & hear is opinions, heck I knew a guy who liked the "L" bars. His opinion. Good luck.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Understood.

The seat option is really the main driver here.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X