Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low miles GS1000 project

Hey everyone,
    I picked up a1980 GS1000L with 8k on the odometer and sat for years with old fuel in it. Bike is complete with everything there. Aside from some moderate rust in the tank and 4 carbs to rebuild looks like a solid project. Originally had plans to turn it into a Cafe bike but the more I look at the old pictures of the Gs1000g with rear fairing and less chrome I’d like to go this route and leave the bike unmolested but with way less chrome.
    My question is what will I need to convert the rear to the Gs1000g? I have the rear fender and tail light assembly but looks like there’s a rear frame bracket I’m missing that it all bolts to. Anyone have an exploded view of what it looks like apart??
    So far removed the big handlebars and high back seat and rear fender, looking much better.

thanks for any info anyone can give. This is my first bike and one I’d like to not only learn on but pretty sure I won’t outgrow it!!

Mike

Your best bet for exploded views is on any of of the parts sites that we typically order from. Partsoutlaw.com, partshark.com, babbittsonline.com, etc., all have basically the same parts fiches. Some have clearer images than others. The biggest difference mechanically is, of course, that the G is a shaft drive so the swingarms are completely different. You can compare other differences in their respective owners manuals and factory service manuals. You can find these on BikeCliffs website- linked in my signature. Lots of other great stuff there too that you’re going to need on this journey. Good on you for wanting to keep it somewhat original/not chopping it up.

Welcome to the site. Go to settings and create a signature. Put our bike year and model in it. Also check out the top 10 Newbie mistakes thread linked in my signature. It’s a great first read written and curated by member Nessism.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Hey neighbor. Not a lot (hardly anything) interchanges bodywise between the L and G. Those more familiar will chime in....
      Best bet would be to get it running and safe first then go from there.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

You're looking at a huge fabrication job, the L has no frame back there to hold the tail section & tailight. Have you looked in the appearance forum? There is a thread for de-L'ed GL's. Many have tried but rkroby has the best looking de-L'ed I've seen. No rear tail, but waaay better than the orig. "L". Welcome & good luck.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
        X