Sturgis Rally drags....I won!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sturgis Rally drags....I won!

Can not explain how it happened, as I don't seem to be able to get out of the first round at any of the other races that I've gone to this year. Didn't get out of first round in Pro ET or Pro Gas, but went 6 rounds in street ET with my old bomber GS to win.
    I made the decission not to try and rotate the earth on each pass but just get down the track by launching on time and short shifting. A .008 light was only good for #4 qualifing spot. I got a single into the finals from round #5. (don't you just love it when a plan comes together!). I've got to say I was worried about the final, as I was up against a Hondamatic 750. He spun and I was around him by the 60' clocks...Game over.

Winners Circle photo with some of the swag and two of my sponsors. (Brock Davidson, and Craig Lockwood of Black Widow Cams).

Outstanding....

Just reading that makes me want to get back into the game....
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Congrats....what was your best time and speed?
      No signature :(

Comment

On the old GS I went 7.86@93mph in the 1/8th
        Went 5.22@131 with a short time of 1.36 on the Pro gas/Pro ET bike

Got to say thank you to the folks from Avon tire (who were not a race sponsor) for donating a set of tires to me after I won. While waiting to do the winners circle presentations, a woman wearing an Avon shirt asked a few questions about my bike. She, and the guy with her out of the blue asked if I'd like a fresh set of Venoms. Who am I to refuse. (I've got Vemoms on both ends of the GS. They got hook!). They took my info, had me sign a release, and now I'm hoping it's all real.

Comment

With L forks to boot!
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            With L forks to boot!
            i see the adjuster's on the bottom..
            those are factory 80/81 E forks chef boyardee

great job on the win btw!

Comment

Yup, stocker 80ET forks with a tiedown strap

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                With L forks to boot!
                Apparently not all of the "regulars" realize it, but the '80/'81 1100E and 750E had leading-axle forks.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

great job cant wait im going to new england dragway to see what my bike can do

Comment

as I was up against a Hondamatic 750.
                    Don't hear about too many of them. Congratulations on the win.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                      Outstanding....

Just reading that makes me want to get back into the game....
                      Your old bike is still for sale. And no I ain't crossing the border with it again. Was a fun trip anyway and the bike was a blast.

Comment

Working...
                      X