No announcement yet.

I wanna....RACE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After you go to the track and race you will most likely be hooked hard so then you will be looking for something quicker and faster. Cost wise you can't beat the old GS1100's they are easy to make into a nice bracket bike. Here is a pic of a GS1100 bracket bike that work very well and was built on a budget. The only motor work was the crank was welded and the tranny was undercut everything else was bolt on parts. It had 33mm Mukuni's and a VnH sidewinder pipe a MSD ignition with a 2-step, a slider clutch and a delay box, wheelie bars and a small slick. It is not mine but that is me on it I finished runner up to the man that owned the bike who was my team mate 3rd round I took out the guy with the #1 plate with a double 00 light your pic you posted brought back some good ol' memories it ran 10.64 every pass with me on it. It was the first time I raced with a delay box. the day before I lost in the semi finals on it at Bradenton. I miss the old Dragbike days. My real passion is no bar racing though
    Can I ask how old are you I was 19 when I started racing on a 1973 CB550F 13.30 @105mph If I could find a pic I will post it up Boy did I look goofy I have to take pic of my old pics to post them I have no scanner.

Here is a link to video of my son Jr. learning to race at Bradenton there is more video's under my screen name stetracer and jdkitt "warning I really suck at filming"

I just noticed that the 13th video down is me on the same Bandit doing a burnout in front of my house shortly after I first got it before I modified it. It says "Suzuki burnout"

Last edited by stetracer; 08-31-2013, 02:53 PM.
    My stable
    84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
    85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
    88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
    98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
    90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
    06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
    00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
      leave it like it is...
      it does not make enough power to pull a slick and load the wheelie bars.
      you would have to put a 70 tooth sprocket on it to make it leave the line and then it would still bog.
      now if you spray 100hp on top on your factory 30ish hp maybe it would work but your engine would be in pieces by the 60 foot lights.

What about NOS?

Comment

[QUOTE=stetracer;1922442]After you go to the track and race you will most likely be hooked hard so then you will be looking for something quicker and faster. Cost wise you can't beat the old GS1100's they are easy to make into a nice bracket bike. Here is a pic of a GS1100 bracket bike that work very well and was built on a budget. The only motor work was the crank was welded and the tranny was undercut everything else was bolt on parts. It had 33mm Mukuni's and a VnH sidewinder pipe a MSD ignition with a 2-step, a slider clutch and a delay box, wheelie bars and a small slick. It is not mine but that is me on it I finished runner up to the man that owned the bike who was my team mate 3rd round I took out the guy with the #1 plate with a double 00 light your pic you posted brought back some good ol' memories it ran 10.64 every pass with me on it. It was the first time I raced with a delay box. the day before I lost in the semi finals on it at Bradenton. I miss the old Dragbike days. My real passion is no bar racing though
        Can I ask how old are you I was 19 when I started racing on a 1973 CB550F 13.30 @105mph If I could find a pic I will post it up Boy did I look goofy I have to take pic of my old pics to post them I have no scanner.

Here is a link to video of my son Jr. learning to race at Bradenton there is more video's under my screen name stetracer and jdkitt "warning I really suck at filming"

I just noticed that the 13th video down is me on the same Bandit doing a burnout in front of my house shortly after I first got it before I modified it. It says "Suzuki burno

Thanks for the link. Ill check it out. One question though. Couldn't I just put a different engine in my bike frame? A more powerful engine swap?

Comment

Your chassis is to flimsy and will cost to much to make work. You can find old GS's1100/1150 or 1200 Bandits for under a grand. I paid $450 for a 02 Bandit with the top end off of it but all the parts were there. I sold $600 in parts off it and I still have everything I want off it.
          What I and other are saying is ride it the way it is and find you a bigger bike to build into a street / drag bike or what ever you want it to be.

As mentioned on your bike you have now you could put some lower bars, strap the front end down. Have you installed a pipe and re jetted the bike yet?
          My stable
          06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph

Comment

Originally posted by William P. Guff View Post
            What about NOS?
            spray=NOS...

Comment

[/QUOTE]Have you installed a pipe and re jetted the bike yet?[/QUOTE]

so then he would have 32 HP.
              i wouldn't spend a nickle on it.
              take it to the track and practice on tune and test night.
              move on to a larger bike at a later date.

Comment

Like I said before I have the perfect bike for you...

Comment

Its for sale,great beginner bike and runs on pump gas. Every thing is done all you have to do is get some riding gear and twist the throttle.

Comment

I love my 450, it's awesome fun in the twisties as it's so easy to throw around... but I wouldn't even think of dragging it.

I know zero about drag racing but I would assume you need a reasonable amount of torque to get off the line plus some good power to get you down the track fast enough.

My 450 is stock except for a custom pipe, K&N pods, jetting changes, shortened carb slide springs, and enlarged vacuum ports in the slides.

As you can see by the dyno chart below it's still only good for 32hp and 22ft/lbs of torque... not what I would consider suitable as a drag bike... and yes it was obscenely rich at 5K RPM when I had this done, have leaned it out some since...

I'd seriously be taking Kris V up on his offer if I was keen on this...
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Have you installed a pipe and re jetted the bike yet?[/QUOTE]

so then he would have 32 HP.
                      i wouldn't spend a nickle on it.
                      take it to the track and practice on tune and test night.
                      move on to a larger bike at a later date.[/QUOTE]

I would agree with that 100% but he seems hell bent on doing something to that 450.

Guff
                      Just change the handle bars and put a strap on the frontend
                      and have some fun.

My stable
                      06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph

Comment

Originally posted by kris v View Post
                        like i said before i have the perfect bike for you...
                        Nice bike! If I had the money Id buy it. How fast does it do the 1/4 again?
                        Last edited by Guest; 09-01-2013, 01:59 PM.

Comment

It will do 9's in the 140 to 150mph range and it is self starting. No start cart required! A very user friendly bike that you can operate by yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Kris V View Post
                            It will do 9's in the 140 to 150mph range and it is self starting. No start cart required! A very user friendly bike that you can operate by yourself.

Cool bike. If I am ever financially able to do so, and the bike is still for sale, ill contact you to buy it. Sure does sound like the perfect bike for me.

Comment

Don`t worry nobody has expressed any interest in this web site so I will have it for a while. Don`t do anything to your bike and take to the track and make some passes and get the feel for the track and how everything works.

Comment

Originally posted by Kris V View Post
                                Don`t do anything to your bike and take to the track and make some passes and get the feel for the track and how everything works.
                                This is EXACTLY my advice also. Get used to racing, you can WIN races on your 450 as it is!, & then step up to an already built, ready to run, bike once you have the funds. Buying a good, already built bike is ALMOST always cheaper than building one. If you know how to build one sometimes you can build cheaper but usually not. Keep us informed, keep asking questions, & get to a grudge night or test & tune as soon as you can to start getting experience. Just so you know, the most efficient way to launch your 450 will be by slipping the clutch instead of just throwing the lever. This will be a little hard on clutch plates at first but you will get used to it & get better with practice, practice, PRACTICE!!! Most of all, HAVE FUN! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                                X