Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to start track racing

Greetings!

So I've got a question. I've got an 84 GS 1150, and I'm REALLY interested in doing some track racing. But I'm a little confused as how to start. I can't seem to find any races that allow the combination of my bike's year, displacement and engine type. I'm not looking for anything competitive (at least not for now); I just wanna take my aggression and need for speed to a safe venue. I also would like to take a course, but it seems that they all use modern bikes, and I want to learn and race MY bike. So, any ideas or direction I can look? I'm in Santa Barbara, CA, and I'm willing to travel within a 350 mile radius from my location. And if you have any recommendations about preparation, techniques, etc., I'd love to hear 'em. Thanks so much!!

-x01660

P.S. As good as our bikes are for the purpose, I am not interested in drag racing. At all. I am seeking advice for road racing.

I started by doing a track day. It's not a race, and you can ride whatever you want out there. They usually include some basic instruction or more if you want personalized tutoring. Your local track might also have a "taste of racing" which is a 20 min $20 turn on the track during lunch on a race day.

I don't know the Santa Barbara area at all, but if there's a track, there's a racing club. And by all means they'll find a class for you. Even if it's some Unlimited Vintage class, you'll have a race. Plan on getting completely smoked on that bike. At our track, "Vintage" is like 10 years or older. And a 2004 GSXR1000 will lap you by the 5th lap.

It's going to be absolutely fun no matter what. And I fully support you taking that bike to the track. Just don't plan on finding a field of 1150's to race against. You'll probably be put into the "run whatcha brung" class. You might find more competition and fun in a SV650 class or one of the "clubman" classes, whatever it might be.

I road raced for 6 years, Supermoto for 7 years, flat track for 2-3 years, MX for 4 years, and I'm just getting into drag racing. You might give it a shot with that bike. It's way more fun than I thought it would be.

-Kevin

Comment

Ok, I just did some quick Google work and you have 3 tracks within 150 miles of you.
      Buttonwillow 138 miles away.
      Fontana 144 miles away.
      Willow Springs 132 miles away.

Go find a track day at one of those tracks. You'll find out a ton more about racing if you visit the track and start asking around. Lots of times these old time race clubs won't have a website that answers all the questions you'll have. And there's no substitute for actually going there.

They'll tell you how to prep your bike for the day. Tape up the lights, remove the mirrors, etc. They'll also inspect your bike for oil leaks, good tires, brakes work, etc.

-kevin

Comment

You'll need a full set of leathers, a newish helmet, boots, gloves, etc

Keith Code has a race class, I'm sure it runs at Willow Springs

But, I'd start with one of Keith's schools, or one of the many others available

Check rioadracingworld,com for a directory of track days and schools
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

The chances are you will feel completely overwhelmed the first time out, as I did. There is really so much to learn so check out youtube for some of Keith Codes riding tips, or there are also some very good books with fast riding techniques and tips for road and track. Don't try to implement everything you see or read about at once - just pick three things (perhaps braking, changing down gears, and changing body position to start with) until you are doing them correctly and unconsciously. Then try three more things (perhaps turning in, apexing, and transitioning to getting on the gas out of the corner.

A Twist of the Wrist is a very worthwhile read/watch,and you can quicken your lap times from learning from the masters. One of the biggest improvements I made was to deliberately relax the outside arm when cornering. The first time I tried it it tightened my line so much that I almost rode off the inside of the track.

"to do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. Indeed, life is not measured in years alone but in achievement...." Bruce McLaren

Comment

I think there is a little track to the north of you. Laguna Seca. I would bet they have track days.
            My Motorcycles:
            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)
            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

You're not going to be able to race that bike, in the sense of lining up on a grid of roughly similar bikes and finding out who the best rider is. Just not enough vintage bikes out there.
              Definitely do a track day or three and see how you like it. If you're really a racer the bike won't matter as much as you think it does. You'll be more interested in finding a class with people to race against.
              '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

This is all fantastic advice! I think what I'm gonna do it track days and get myself in tip top physical shape (The rider is the most efficient thing from which to cut weight, and trust me, I've got PLENTY to cut... o.O ) along with taking a racing school... That sounds like a plan.

That said, in the case that I do decide to start racing, what class do y'all recommend I race? I'm not naieve and think that I can just hop on a liter bike and tear it up. I REALLY wanna focus on technique and pushing the bike to it's limits. I'm 6'2", 240 lbs (I'm working on getting down to 195-210 lbs) and have a 36 inch inseam. What bike/class do you think I should start? I'm thinking an older (early to mid 90's) 500cc bike would be a good start, but I'd love to hear what you guys and gals have to say. Thanks again for all of the advice!

-x01660

Comment

The GS 500 twin from the late 80s & up is a good platform to start with & they are CHEAP to buy. You are a huge guy so don't be discouraged that it will be slow. A slow bike will teach you to maximize corner speed & braking techniques. Also, parts are PLENTIFUL for this bike & better front ends bolt right on. We raced a VERY trick one I built out of my shop in Hawaii & it would pull FZR 600s on our front straight! Ray.

Comment

Rumor has it 1150's are kinda fun to drag race if that would be of any interest.
                    Added bonus is you don't get brake checked in the corners.
                    Thieves.....kill them all.

Comment

Thanks, rapidray! I've been doing some research, and I think what I'm gonna do is Track Days for the time being. If I do like it, I'm gonna have to get another bike, since my current bike is my ONLY form of transportation. That said, I'm signing up with motoyard.com to do a Track Day at the Streets of Willow in May. Should be fun. Also, I see that your phone number (Remember, I've been reading your posts, and I sent you a PM. hint hint... ) is (714); where in OC are you?

-x01660

Comment

Originally posted by gs1197 View Post
                        Rumor has it 1150's are kinda fun to drag race if that would be of any interest.
                        Added bonus is you don't get brake checked in the corners.
                        I know they are, lol. I'm good friends with Bill (chef1366), as he's the one who built my bike from the ground up, so I've chatted plenty with him about it. That said, I'm just not interested in going fast in a straight line. If I wanted to do that, I'dve kept my 95 Z28... It's corners for me. Another reason I'll NEVER get a Hardley; I like have a lean angle over 15 degrees... o.O

But thanks for the advice anyways.

-x01660

Comment

Really hard to beat an SV650 as a starter race bike. Plentiful, cheap, easy on tires, handle great, crash well...
                          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                            Really hard to beat an SV650 as a starter race bike. Plentiful, cheap, easy on tires, handle great, crash well...
                            I agree with this. But I really like the old GS's. I'll probably end up getting a modern bike at some point and turning it into a track machine, but there's something so alluring about the Suzuki UJM's... It's a machine. No ABS, no steering assists... carbureted... I like a machine I can feel. Something I can tune and adjust... It's the same reason I like older cars. I want to be involved in the riding of my machine. Feel every bump, hear and feel the engine, just being in touch with it. All the new fuel injected smooth stuff is nice for performance, but I don't just wanna ride my bike. I wanna feel it. And I just don't get that from modern machinery...

-x01660

Comment

Originally posted by x01660 View Post
                              I agree with this. But I really like the old GS's. I'll probably end up getting a modern bike at some point and turning it into a track machine, but there's something so alluring about the Suzuki UJM's... It's a machine. No ABS, no steering assists... carbureted... I like a machine I can feel. Something I can tune and adjust... It's the same reason I like older cars. I want to be involved in the riding of my machine. Feel every bump, hear and feel the engine, just being in touch with it. All the new fuel injected smooth stuff is nice for performance, but I don't just wanna ride my bike. I wanna feel it. And I just don't get that from modern machinery...

-x01660
                              Yep, you can feel it flex and wobble all around the track.

A lot of your preconceived ideas will fall away once you get on the track, it's different than you imagine.
                              First gen SVs are pretty basic bikes, carbs, no ABS or other electronics. Just a good frame, a solid and fun motor, and wheels that let you run modern tires. Makes for a really fun package.

Comment

Working...
                              X