how do I remove a sheared-off screw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do I remove a sheared-off screw?

So I was trying to determine why the front brake wasn't activating the brake light and decided to disasemble the front brake switch. Not knowing what I was getting into I started unscrewing the two tiny screws that held the little rectangular cover on the switch. They were pretty rusty so I gave it a good squirt of WD-40 before, but the first one just sheared right off with very little resistance. The other came out easily enough, but now I have the body of the screw stuck in the brake lever assembly. There's nothing of the screw left sticking out for me to grab, either. What do I do?

Gotta get a tiny easy-out tap and drill a hole with a tiny bit into the screw. Doug posted a review on the Grab-it screw extractor, look in the tips and tricks forum, that looked like a nice tool, but I'm not sure if they make one tiny enough. They do make easy out taps small enough for those screws.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
      Gotta get a tiny easy-out tap and drill a hole with a tiny bit into the screw. Doug posted a review on the Grab-it screw extractor, look in the tips and tricks forum, that looked like a nice tool, but I'm not sure if they make one tiny enough. They do make easy out taps small enough for those screws.
      I was wondering that myself. I just ran into a tiny screw on a spare gauge set for my GT and wanted to pull the screw out. Too small for my Grab-it.
      May be tough with smalll screws such as these.
      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
      2000 Kawasaki Concours
      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

For small screws & carb needles Try a left twist drill bit, alot of time it will turn the screw out while you are drilling

Comment

Working...
        X