Those %$#@! crush washers for brake lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those %$#@! crush washers for brake lines

I just ordered a lifetime supply of 100 aluminum 10mm crush washers from Spiegler USA, purveyors of fine braided brake lines and many other goodies besides. They're only 25 cents each. UPS shipping is unfortunately a minimum charge of $9.50, but that's still less than 35 cents each.

Spiegler Performance Parts was founded on the concept of providing motorcycle enthusiasts custom motorcycle accessories and performance parts via inno

Choose "Brake Line Accessories" then choose "Crush Washers" from the menu. You have to call them to place the order.

Heck, buy some brake lines while you're at it. They have a really nice custom configuration utility on their web site. You submit your request, then you get an email the next day from a real human being with a quite reasonable estimate.

It's taking me a couple of tries to get this brake line thing exactly right. And I'm getting really tired of paying $1.99 for each little scrap of use-it-once-and-throw-it-away aluminum at the bike shop. (It takes 7 to do my front brakes.)

Most of the mouth-breathers at auto parts stores don't even know what crush washers are. The few stores that do have them (Autozone is the only one I've found that has them in bulk for 39 cents each) stock copper washers that are a little too sloppy in the middle and too big around the outside for many fittings. They might work in a pinch, but "close" isn't enough for me.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Most of the mouth-breathers at auto parts stores don't even know what crush washers are.
    I know! I recently went to a Pep Boys and asked about crush washers. I was looking for my oil cooler line banjos. The guy first looked at me sidways and then asked, "What kind of car is it?" I said it wasn't a car and he said, "Well, we are a car shop." I asked for a manager and he didn't know what a crush washer was either 8O 8O 8O How do these idiots tie thier shoes in the morning?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
      How do these idiots tie thier shoes in the morning?
      Haven't you seen Velcro (tm) sneaker closures?

I just took a "crushed" washer to my local NAPA shop and said in my best neatheral tone, something like "I'd like a half-dozen o' these, luh!" Don't think he even charged me for them!

Sometimes it pays to stoop to their level!

SV

Comment

Got my lifetime supply of aluminum crush washers from Spiegler this morning. They sure are purty! The total with shipping was only $34.50 for 100 washers.

They are noticeably higher quality than the $1.99 aluminum washers from the local bike shop. They don't have the ridges from being stamped out, and the sealing surfaces are much more even and consistent.

Given my slovenly bike cleaning habits (actually, no bike cleaning habits), I didn't want to use copper crush washers from Autozone if I could help it. I just have this vision of the copper eventually turning green and crumbling...

Is it sad that a bag of washers can make my day?
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Oh, and yes, the Spiegler brake washers worked wonderfully.

Unlike the crap washers I got from the local bike shop, I could feel a lovely squisssssshh as I tightened the banjo bolts. No leaks on the first try, and I had been struggling with getting these brake lines installed and not leaking for a week.

Nothing like having the right stuff for the job! And yes, the braking feel is much improved.
          Eat more venison.

Comment

Originally posted by sv650
            Originally posted by Jethro
            How do these idiots tie thier shoes in the morning?
            Haven't you seen Velcro (tm) sneaker closures?

I just took a "crushed" washer to my local NAPA shop and said in my best neatheral tone, something like "I'd like a half-dozen o' these, luh!" Don't think he even charged me for them!

Sometimes it pays to stoop to their level!

SV
            It used to be that in order to work at the auto parts desk you needed to know soemthing about cars. That requirement was dropped when they went to computerized lookups. They just ask you some year/make/model questions and out pops a part. Is it the right one? Maybe, but they wouldn't know.

If you don't have all of the specific info or if they don't have a record for the vehicle you have then it is going to be a long day.

It just another dumbing down due to computers.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
              It used to be that in order to work at the auto parts desk you needed to know soemthing about cars. That requirement was dropped when they went to computerized lookups. They just ask you some year/make/model questions and out pops a part. Is it the right one? Maybe, but they wouldn't know.

If you don't have all of the specific info or if they don't have a record for the vehicle you have then it is going to be a long day.

It just another dumbing down due to computers.
              I know what you mean. I ask for sway bar bushings at Canadian Tire, and they want to know if the vehicle has air conditioning! I said, "What the hell does it matter if it has air conditioning, it's a suspension part?" The guy then informed me it won't come up unless he fills in the blanks on the computer screen. :roll:

I like dealing with a guy who knows what part I need without even looking it up. THAT'S service!

Oh, and before anybody flames me for putting Canadian tire sway bar bushings in my car I have an explanation. It was a beater that we weren't going to keep for more than a couple of months and I just wanted to get rid of the clunking noise in the front end. 8)
              Kevin
              E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
              "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
              Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I have had luck with heating the washers up with a torch and then quenching them in water. They dont seem to leak after this. Maybe not the right way, but it does seem to work.

Comment

Motnik,

I was about to say the same thing, there used to be a show on the DIY channel where a British mechanic had a different project bike, helicopter, airplane, car each week. On one of his shows he did the same thing, torched the crush washer then dipped it in water. Supposedly this will expand the washer so it can be used again. I've done it once about a year ago and it still hasnt leaked

Todd

Comment

It works good. I learned the trick from a diesel mechanic. The same type of washer is used to seal the injector from the combustion chamber. 8O This is the method he used.

Comment

It works good. I learned the trick from a diesel mechanic.
                      What you are really doing is annealing the washer, which softens the material and allows it to act as a proper gasket again. I wouldn't use this trick more than once or twice at most, though, as the washer keeps crushing every time and will eventually be unable to seal properly no matter what you do to it.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mark m
                        It works good. I learned the trick from a diesel mechanic.
                        What you are really doing is annealing the washer, which softens the material and allows it to act as a proper gasket again. I wouldn't use this trick more than once or twice at most, though, as the washer keeps crushing every time and will eventually be unable to seal properly no matter what you do to it.

Mark
                        "Annealing" I couldn't remember what it was called but I did remember he had a term for it.

Comment

By the way guys i'm sort of new here. Just picked up a Gs1100gl and a gs850g. I'm a regular over at http://www.cb1100f.net/. Go by the same name, Motnick.

Here is a picture of my cb1100f and I.

Comment

Originally posted by motnick
                            By the way guys i'm sort of new here. Just picked up a Gs1100gl and a gs850g. I'm a regular over at http://www.cb1100f.net/. Go by the same name, Motnick.
                            Hey...Welcome Motnick.....but we want to see the "Gs1100gl and a gs850g"

Comment

I will try to post some pictures later this week.

Comment

Working...
                              X