Brake upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake upgrades

What is the most straight forward and sensible calliper upgrade for a GS 850 ?
    I dont mind a bit of faffin around but major hassle I can do without. I have put on stainless braided lines and it has helped a bit. But as the standard callipers are about ready for a rebuild I thought I may as well see about an upgrade.
    Any ideas, help, experience appreciated.

What year is your bike?

Do you have the earlier calipers with the round pads or the later calipers with the rectangular pads?

I don't know if you can fit the later calipers to the earlier fork legs, though. And I have no idea if it would be worth it, either.

The later bikes had the one-piece master cylinder which may or may not be better. And the vented brake disks from later models are better, too.

If you have an earlier model and can find the front end from a later model, it might be a worthwhile upgrade.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

It is the model with the round pads.

Comment

Guys,

The later square pad GS(X) calipers are a direct replacement for the round pad ones. I did this on a GS750 and it was definitely worth it. It's the only option without making up adaptor plates or changing the front forks.

Cheers,

Tony.

Comment

Working...
        X