Oil Change For GS1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Change For GS1000G

I just need to know how many quarts of oil go into my GS10000G and are there any recomendations for oil type.

oil

For a goog oil change i take off the sump as well to check if any "floaty" bits are in there .If you do that and the oil filter you should need about 4 litres. (1 liters = 1.0556 quarts). Just fill it with 3.5 liters idle the motor for 30secs then check the oil level in the windo with the bike of both wheels standing upright on flat ground untill you find the correct level. Should run 20w-40w oil in it if you live in a normal climate as long as its good motor-cycle oil as some car oils will make the clutch slip. I use Motul semi-synthic stuff because it has a gear box additive in it.

Comment

Oil Change For GS1000G

Thank you so much!!! Since I posted my request I called a parts dealer somewhere in the Midwest (USA). I've ordered parts from them and they so far seem to be reliable. They are called Midwest Action Cycle. Anyhoo thank you again and happy riding!

Damian
      New York City, USA

Comment

I believe the manual calls for checking your oil while it is on the centerstand. I know from testing with my 850 that a reading with the bike flat on the ground shows more oil than when on the centerstand. If you are checking not on the centerstand, make sure the bike is exactly vertical and you will want the oil to almost cover the whole glass, with just a tiny amount at the top uncovered. You will need either a friend to hold the bike up while you read the sight glass, or a mirror you can focus onto the glass while sitting on the bike and holding it vertical yourself. If you are reading on the centerstand, just bring the oil level up to the full marking on the sightglass. My recocommendation is to use the centerstand. Do a search in this forum for a trick to get your bike onto the centerstand easily. 3.5 - 4 liters/quarts for changing oil and filter. If for some emergency reason you are only changing the oil it would be a liter/quart less.
        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Thank you!!!

I did as you said on the center stand and all seems to be working fine!!!

Comment

Working...
          X