Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy way to clean the "inside" of your engine..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy way to clean the "inside" of your engine..

If you want to clean the back of your valves, ports, top of pistons, carb jets and needles, just pour in a quart of Xylene or Toluene in your tank...
    Xylene is used to clean fuel injectors and combustion chambers (see back of most "Fuel System Cleaner", bottles for ingredients) Also used in the "Goof Off" paint remover when you splatter some paint while painting.
    I use it in my turbo Buick to clean and boost the octane since I run 19lbs on the street. Run 24lbs on the strip..
    You won't hurt anything since Xylene is already in gasoline, (used as a cleaner and octane booster) If you use it in large amounts in your car , add a little Marvel Mystery Oil , since Xylene is dry, Marvel Oil just replaces the mild lubricant that gas has....Use MMO when using 2 gallons or more in your car. About 1oz per 2 gallons of gas....Be carefull putting in your tank, pour it it in a container with a spout first then use a funnel to pour in slowly..... You can get Xylene at any paint store or hardware store.. Xylene is 117 Octane, Toluene is 112 Octane.. It works !!

Here's what's in your garden variety unleaded gas below:

------------------

Material Safety Data Sheet
    SECTION 1 PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION

CHEVRON and TEXACO PREMIUM UNLEADED GASOLINES
    Product Use: Fuel
    Product Number(s): CPS201019 [See Section 16 for Additional Product Numbers]
    Synonyms: Calco Premium Gasoline, Chevron Premium Unleaded Gasoline, Chevron Supreme Unleaded Gasoline, Texaco Power Premium Unleaded Gasoline
    Company Identification
    Chevron Products Company
    Marketing, MSDS Coordinator
    6001 Bollinger Canyon Road
    San Ramon, CA 94583
    United States of America

Transportation Emergency Response
    CHEMTREC: (800) 424-9300 or (703) 527-3887
    Health Emergency
    ChevronTexaco Emergency Information Center: Located in the USA. International collect calls accepted. (800) 231-0623 or (510) 231-0623
    Product Information
    Technical Information: (510) 242-5357

SPECIAL NOTES: This MSDS applies to: all motor gasoline.

SECTION 2 COMPOSITION/ INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

COMPONENTS CAS NUMBER AMOUNT
    Gasoline 86290-81-5 100 %volume
    Benzene 71-43-2 0.1 - 4.9 %volume
    Toluene (methylbenzene) 108-88-3 1 - 17 %volume
    Ethyl benzene 100-41-4 0.1 - 3 %volume
    Xylene (contains o-, m-, & p- xylene isomers in varying amounts) 1330-20-7 1 - 15 %volume
    Butane 106-97-8 1 - 12 %volume
    Heptane 142-82-5 1 - 4 %volume
    Hexane 110-54-3 1 - 5 %volume
    Cyclohexane 110-82-7 1 - 3 %volume
    Methylcyclohexane 108-87-2 1 - 2 %volume
    Pentane, 2,2,4-trimethyl- (Isooctane) 540-84-1 1 - 13 %volume
    Naphthalene 91-20-3 0.1 - 2 %volume
    Ethanol 64-17-5 0 - 10 %volume
    Methyl tert-butyl ether (MTBE) 1634-04-4 0 - 15 %volume
    Tertiary amyl methyl ether (TAME) 994-05-8 0 - 17 %volume
    Ethyl tert-butyl ether (ETBE) 637-92-3 0 - 18 %volume

Motor gasoline is considered a mixture by EPA under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA). The refinery streams used to blend motor gasoline are all on the TSCA Chemical Substances Inventory. The appropriate CAS number for refinery blended motor gasoline is 86290-81-5. The product specifications of motor gasoline sold in your area will depend on applicable Federal and State regulations.

SECTION 3 HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION

just think, i am a mechanic at a chemical factory and we use most of them chemicals weekly,freeeeee high octaine gasoliiiineeeee :twisted:

Comment

After the xylene.

Will my bike still like me in the morning?

After you run the quart of xylene or toluene have you dried out the seals and need to add oil like in the car? Remember we are talking about some older engines and seals, etc.

Comment

When this thread first got started I meant to reply. If you add up all those percentages you get sometning like 145%. That number may not be quite right but when I first read this I know it was over 140%

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
          When this thread first got started I meant to reply. If you add up all those percentages you get sometning like 145%. That number may not be quite right but when I first read this I know it was over 140%
          If you use 4 gallons of gas to 1 quart of Xylene , you would have 6.25 % mixture a Xylene.....

If you use 4 gallons of gas to 1 gallon Xylene, you would have 25% mixture of Xylene

1 divided by 4 = .25 (25%)

1 qt (.25) divided by 4 = .0625 (6.25%)

145% of xylene would be 5.8 gallons of xylene mixed with 4 gallons of gas.

Comment

Re: After the xylene.

Originally posted by steve4mc
            Will my bike still like me in the morning?

After you run the quart of xylene or toluene have you dried out the seals and need to add oil like in the car? Remember we are talking about some older engines and seals, etc.

The gas you use already has Xylene in it , up to 15%.
            A quart of Xylene mixed with 4 gallons of gas is only 6.25% of Xylene . My first post shows percentage of Xylene and other stuff in gas......... It doesn't hurt anything. It adds more cleaning and octane for your motor...I'm using it in a 20 year old GS1150

Comment

Napthalene - how much octane it has?

But I wonder If I really would need to add this? In Malaysia Standard gasoline is 97 octane ............. Its hard to find station that would sell the 92octane fuel anymore.

Comment

Tuolene was also the main ingredient in the Fuel system cleaning we did at a lube-shop, where it just went in the air intake for the cars.

your not supposed to rev the engine high while doing it though apparently.

I wondered whether getting some sort of tuolene spray through the intake boot screws might be a bad thing , since it would be hard to do on all 4 cylinders. if you could do it, would it be good to do?

maybe some 4 line rig to each boot with a light spray getting sucked up by vacuum?

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                  If you look carefully, you will see that most of the compounds have a range of percentages listed. I am sure that it is different for every manufacturer and type of gas. For example, methanol can be anywhere from zero to ten percent of the mixture.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Acme
                    If you use 4 gallons of gas to 1 gallon Xylene, you would have 25% mixture of Xylene
                    Wouldn't that be a 20% mixture of Xylene?

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike
                      Wouldn't that be a 20% mixture of Xylene?
                      Yes it would

Comment

More than you ever wanted to know about gasoline

The octane rating is the most important characteristic of gasoline (petrol) and other fuels used in spark-ignition internal combustion engines. It is a measure of how resistant the fuel is to premature detonation (knocking). It is measured relative to a mixture of 2,2,4-trimethylpentane (an isomer of octane) and n-heptane. So an 87-octane gasoline has the same knock resistance as a mixture of 87% isooctane and 13% n-heptane. A complementary standard for diesel fuel is the cetane number.
                        The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel through a specific test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing these results with those for mixtures of isooctane and n-heptane.

There is another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON), which is a better measure of how the fuel behaves when under load. MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, a higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern gasoline will be about 8 to 10 points lower than the RON. Normally fuel specifications require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.

In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "normal" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91 in Europe.

It is possible for a fuel to have a RON greater than 100, because isooctane is not the most knock-resistant substance available. Racing fuels, straight ethanol, Avgas and LPG typically have octane ratings of 110 or significantly higher. Typical "octane booster" additives include tetra-ethyl lead and toluene.

Higher octane ratings correlate to higher activation energies. Activation energy is the amount of energy necessary to start a chemical reaction- since higher octane fuels have higher activation energies, it is less likely that a given compression ratio will cause knocking.
                        It might seem odd that fuels with higher octane ratings burn less easily, yet are popularly thought of as more powerful. Using a fuel with a higher octane lets an engine be run at a higher compression ratio without having problems with knock. Compression is directly related to power, so engines that require higher octane usually deliver more power. Some high-performance engines are designed to operate with a compression ratio associated with high octane numbers, and thus demand high-octane gasoline. It should be noted that the power output of an engine also depends on the energy content of its fuel, which bears no simple relationship to the octane rating. Some people believe that adding a higher octane fuel to their engine will increase its performance or lessen its fuel consumption; this is mostly false?engines perform best when using fuel with the octane rating they were designed for and any increase in performance is minimal.

The octane rating was developed by the chemist Russell Marker. The selection of n-heptane as the zero point of the scale was due to the availability of very high purity n-heptane, not mixed with other isomers of heptane or octane, distilled from the resin of the Jeffrey Pine. Other sources of heptane produced from crude oil contain a mixture of different isomers with greatly differing ratings, which would not give a precise zero point.

Comment

Where can I buy Xylene or Toluene ?

Comment

Originally posted by michel
                            Where can I buy Xylene or Toluene ?
                            If you want to clean the back of your valves, ports, top of pistons, carb jets and needles, just pour in a quart of Xylene or Toluene in your tank...
                            Xylene is used to clean fuel injectors and combustion chambers (see back of most "Fuel System Cleaner", bottles for ingredients) Also used in the "Goof Off" paint remover when you splatter some paint while painting.
                            You won't hurt anything since Xylene is already in gasoline, (used as a cleaner and octane booster) If you use it in large amounts in your car , add a little Marvel Mystery Oil , since Xylene is dry, Marvel Oil just replaces the mild lubricant that gas has....Use MMO when using 2 gallons or more in your car. About 1oz per 2 gallons of gas....Be carefull putting in your tank, pour it it in a container with a spout first then use a funnel to pour in slowly..... You can get Xylene at any paint store or hardware store.. Xylene is 117 Octane, Toluene is 112 Octane.. It works !!

Comment

Never heard of Xylene before. Does it have another technical name more common in the old world? :?

Comment

Working...
                              X