Super cheap way of elimination fairing buzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super cheap way of elimination fairing buzz

I have an '84 GS750EF with the full fairing and I recently took off my windscreen to clean it up a little, since putting it back on it has an extremely annoying and super loud buzz, ouch! Anyway this has to be the cheapest way to fix it (39 cents CDN) without getting stuff for free. What I did was buy a foot of 5/16 rubber tubing, the stuff you can also use for brake bleeding, and sheathed the windscreen bolts about halfway along the length of the bolt. It was tight enough so that as the bolt was being tightened down the last little bit of rubber tubing spread out and created it's own rubber washer. My windscreen is now rock solid with no buzz. Originally the bolts came with a combo rubber washer and sheath but after 20 years in the sun had desintagrated to almost nothing. If the rubber is to thick to fit in the bolt hole, mine was a tight fit, you could probably sheath the bolts in something less thick such as wire insulation. It's alot cleaner and less messy than using weather stripping and believe it or not looks better than the original rubber washers. Go figure. Hope this helps. I used clear tubing but if you want the "original" look you could use black tubing. Give it a try.

Here are the bolts are fairing microfiche:

Number 8 is the "cushon" as they call it in the microfiche which I replaced with the tubing.

Nice idea, I may have to do this when I take my fairing apart to fix it up this summer. (I've got some pretty bad damage on the right side)

Btw, let me introduce you to tinyurl.com
    Take your long, confusing, page widening urls, put them into their link generator, and follow the new tiny url. Here's one for your specific url.

Comment

Working...
    X