Instrument cluster adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instrument cluster adapter

After my little accident, I had to replace my instrument cluster. I had a good one in the parts bin, but I realized that I didn't like the 1000 chain drive gauges as much as the set on my 79 750E. (no gear position Indicator, one light for turn signals.) I had some extra 750 parts laying around & wondered what it would take to mount the 750 instruments on a 1000.
    The first part was easy. The mounts are the same, as are the speedo & tach cable threads.
    The wiring harness is different. The 1000 uses a 9 pin connector & the 750 uses a 6 pin connector & two individual wires. Time to make an adaptor.
    I was lucky enough to have an old 750L harness that had the 6 pin female plug & wires. The wrecked 1000 cluster had the 9 pin male. I was able to match up the wires & get everything to light up correctly.
    The gear position indicator is another project. It uses a seperate 6 pin connector & a different neutral indicator switch. I'm going to see if the switches are interchangeable (it looks possible).
    If everything works, I'll be able to use the instruments from the following GS models with full functionality.
    78-79 750 & 750E (NO fuel gauge)
    79-81 850G
    79-81 1000G
    78-80 550 & 550E
    Does anyone know if the 6 & 9 pin connectors are available new? That would eliminate the need for solder & tape.

Terry

Re: Instrument cluster adapter

Originally posted by humhead
    Does anyone know if the 6 & 9 pin connectors are available new? That would eliminate the need for solder & tape.

Terry

Comment

Thanks for the link! I like the look of the single connectors, but the six & nine pin connectors are a different style

Terry

Comment

I think thats it! The 6 pin suzuki looks like the ones on our bikes. Thanks for the link.

Terry

Comment

Don't thank me, I got it given to me by Brian Wringer aka BWRinger just passing it on

Comment

I've come across another site for oem type connectors

Comment

I've ben trading e-mails with the owner of that company. He's a nice guy, very helpful. Didn't have the connectors I need

Terry

Comment

Working...
              X