Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

auto trans fluid for softening airbox rubber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

auto trans fluid for softening airbox rubber?

I read about this somewhere, but just wanted to know if anyone has tried it before I take a chance. Getting the airbox reinstalled is a really tight fit on my GS650, the boots don't want to flex much.

Individual pods are not an option for me, I don't care for intake honk sound.

R

I dunno, and would not risk it.

They are silicone imbued, soften them with heat (from a heat gun, pan of boiling water) and spray them with silicone lube. Works great.

Comment

It will ruin the rubber by swelling it.

Comment

Has anybody really had rubber stretch or break down in real life after an application of oil?

I sometimes end up doing stuff like that, and knock on wood, have never had any problems.

Plus, if those airbox rubbers are hard enough to need softening...they are shot. I say go ahead and lube 'em.

Another option is to soak them overnight in PB B'laster. They claim to revive rubber O rings... I have never done this but I sure might try it next time I pull the carbs.

8O 8O

Yes, I use WD-40 to mount my tires. (After a mech at the Honda shop told me that's what they use.)

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
          Has anybody really had rubber stretch or break down in real life after an application of oil?

I'm not saying go ahead...but I sometimes end up doing stuff like that, and knock on wood, have never had any problems.

8O 8O

Yes, I use WD-40 to mount my tires. (After a mech at the Honda shop told me that's what they use.)
          I recall Scotty's intake boots swelling up after regularly coating them with WD40, thinking they would like it.

Comment

I sometimes end up doing stuff like that, and knock on wood, have never had any problems.

Plus, if those airbox rubbers are hard enough to need softening...they are shot. I say go ahead and lube 'em.

Another option is to soak them overnight in PB B'laster. They claim to revive rubber O rings... I have never done this but I sure might try it next time I pull the carbs.

8O 8O

Not on my bikes because I know better. But many car rubber bits yes. And not oil Jim, but auto trans oil. Big difference. He said auto tran fluid, not oil. I would have no objections to motor oil. Any where I need to use some oil on things though I use a little 3 in 1. It's excellent for those little carb o-rings. Also works great when rebuilding your petcock

Comment

I knew people that are involved with car restoration, and I remember them talking about soaking the window rubber trim in some sort of acid ( acetic spring's to mind, but don't quote me ) It would transform old hardend rubber, in to as new soft without any swelling.
              Maybe some one else can add to this!

Comment

Having used silicon spray lube for the first time recently, I have to say I'm completely sold on the stuff. It can be used on practically any surface and won't corrode.

Ace.

Comment

Silicone spray is the only Right Stuff for lubing the various rubber bits on our bikes.

I blush to mention this, but note that water-based and silicone-based lubes are the only ones that are considered safe to use with latex condoms.

Of course, KY Jelly is a bit messy for some uses (although tire mounting lubricant is water-based and very similar), but silicone spray is perfect for lubing carb boots, o-rings, and such. However, most silicone sprays are deadly to oxygen sensors, so DO NOT use them on vehicles with oxygen sensors.

Small amounts of plain motor oil (no seal softener/leak stopper or high mileage additives) are also generally safe to use on fuel system components.

Rubber as used in seals, o-rings, boots, and such on motorcycles can be formulated for long-term resistance just about any chemical. However, it's difficult to know what is safe for any particular part. Intake boots can resist heat and gasoline and gasoline vapor for years, but can break down pretty quickly when exposed or soaked in other chemicals.

With WD-40, kerosene, PB Blaster, ATF, leak stoppers, and other elixirs, you're taking a big chance on incompatibility. The seal softening or rejuvenating chemicals or tricks all rely on doing a limited amount of damage to the rubber.

As JimCor says, if you have nothing to lose, it might be worth a try. But be very careful what you put on o-rings, boots, and seals you intend to keep.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo

I'm not saying go ahead...but I sometimes end up doing stuff like that, and knock on wood, have never had any problems.

8O 8O

I recall Scotty's intake boots swelling up after regularly coating them with WD40, thinking they would like it.
                    Yep

Comment

mark i always thought that auto trans fluid was very light oil that is ultra high detergent. Ive been searching for info to tell what the stuff is mad of but no luck.

Comment

Working...
                      X