Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aux. Fuel Bottle

Made this a while ago, Doug thought I should post it for the GSR to see:

I used an old camp fuel bottle and a junk petcock from a trashed 750. The gasket is some sheet rubber stuff I picked up at ACE hardware. It's obviously not your ordinary rubber I guess, because I've used it as a gasket on my runner as well for 10 months, stuff came from the plumbing department, don't know what it's common use is. Everyone said gas would eat it up, but it's held up fine. The secondary petcock is from ACE as well, for use on a garden tractor. The Suzi petcock doesn't shut off, the vacumm diaphragm isn't in. I just pluged the vacumm port.

Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Oh, just thought I should add, not an aux fuel tank to travel with, strictly for tuning purposes while the tank is off. Although I bet it would hold up well in a bag. Doesn't leak a drop. I would just add real hose clamps and it would be solid.

I actually don't use it much (at all), I just put the tank on my workmate bench with a long feed hose. Made it more out of boredom and fun then anything.
    Currently bikeless
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Cool idea...thanks for sharing. 8)

Comment

I use an I.V. bottle from a hospital....Good idea.

Comment

I'm using a Deer Park water bottle.
          This looks way better. What type of bottle
          is that Geoff?

Comment

I use a plastic tank gizmo intended as a universal replacement coolant catch tank for cars and trucks. Eight bucks or so.

The MSR fuel bottle (to answer a question, it's a lightweight aluminum bottle intended to hold Coleman fuel and such to power backpacking camp stoves) is another great idea.

Shame to ruin it for backpacking, but I somehow have at least three of these even though I don't have an MSR stove. Several backpacking friends always seem to leave their stuff mixed in with mine after trips.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I have an MSR stove, but rarely use it. I've been converted to butane canisters- so much hotter and quicker. When I do, I use a much smaller fuel bottle. That one is like 27oz. or something and could burn my stove for a week straight.
              Currently bikeless

Comment

Iuse the acid bottle that comes with batteries. :-) I just make sure to throughly clean it before use.
                You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

OK, I can't tell, are any of you driving with one of these tanks with you? I wouldn't mind carrying a extra quart of gas with me in the trunk if it were safe to do so... :? :?

Comment

The MSR bottle would be safe to carry with gasoline -- it's intended to carry Coleman fuel (white gas, a somewhat lazy version of gasoline) for weeks and months on end in filthy backpacks. The bottles are incredibly strong and light.

However, the MSR bottles are still rather thin aluminum, and could be wear through or get punctured fairly easily. The o-ring seal is a little vulnerable, but as long as you are fairly careful to keep grit off the o-ring and lube it once in a while with grease or vaseline, it will last for years -- I haven't seen one fail yet.

I prefer to use plastic Nalgene bottles for camp fuel since they are a bit more resilient and thus more durable. The added bulk and weight are negligible, but they don't look quite as cool as the aluminum MSR bottles. Nalgene bottles do not use an o-ring seal.

DO NOT use the Nalgene water bottles sold at Target, etc. Go to a backpacking store and get a Nalgene bottle that is rated for fuel -- the material is thicker and the neck of the bottle is narrow and has a different seal.

Any backpacking store will have a large selection.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I use a one quart gear oil bottle that is tapered at the top and has a top that is also tapered. I slip a hose over the nipple of the top and attach a ball valve with 1/4" hose fittings. I also wrapped some wire around the bottom so that I have something to hang it with. I hang it from and old brass coat tree.

Comment

I use a used scooter fuel tank I got from the breaker, petcock included.

Comment

Working...
                        X