Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've been "shafted", and I think I like it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been "shafted", and I think I like it!

I dropped into my local motorcycle wrecking yard on Saturday morning, Geoff, the proprieter, has sold me many motorcycles over the years, so was quick to call me on Wednesday to say he'd just picked up a 1981 Suzuki GS1000G, and he'd let me have it cheap?

Hmmmnn, well I've always been a fan of big Suzys, but I must admit that I'd firmly positioned myself in the "Chain Gang" when it came down to "Which is the best" type arguments on this site. Anyway, the bike was almost complete, the PO was a *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ "Streetfighter" fan, who'd replaced some OEM parts with a mixture of aluminum checker plate, silicon sealant and rattle can black enamel, but when Geoff hit the starter and it fired right up and settled into a steady idle, he knew he had me.

I took it for a ride and made an observation that the tranny was very loud on the overrun, so we got to bartering and I picked it up for "a song" (not heart-break hotel!) and I even managed to get him to include an OEM exhaust for my 1973 Honda CB750 as a "sweetener". He delivered it to my home and I checked all it's "vitals" and discovered that the transmission noise was the product of no oil in the final drive, or differential? Funnily enough, there were no leaks either, the streetfighter guy must have drained the oil, but not replaced it? Weird.......

Anyway, I rode it again, and all is well, the noise is gone so I won't be using the thing for parts, instead I'll clean it up a bit and use it for daily transportation over the summer months. To this end, I need to keep it reliable, so I've ordered a workshop manual on CD from England for it, but if you guys can give me some advice in the meantime on what quantity of 90 weight oil to use in the final drive and diff cases, and where I can get a seat cover and a decal kit? It's original colour was black, with predominately orange graphics, so a set of replica decals'd be nice, but if someone has a pic of that color tank (mine has been painted over with lumpy flat black enamel) I'd appreciate it?

Also, if anyone has any cosmetic parts (sidecovers, gauges, etc) for sale,
    I'd appreciate it as the PO has either thrown out or damaged some of these parts. It's still a great bike though, and i'm looking forward to riding it tonight! (Spring here, and getting warmer every day!) Any other tips or tricks for a novice "Shaftie" will be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Terry. :twisted:

How about some pics?

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike
      How about some pics?
      G'Day Unky Mike, I've taken some pics, but how do I post them? Cheers, Terry. :twisted:

Comment

Goto http://tinypic.com and click on the browse button.

Select the image in the window that appears and click open.

Click Host on the page.

Then on the next page it should give you 4 different codes. Copy the [img] code by highlighting it and pressing Ctrl+Insert and then post a reply/thread on the forum and paste the code within the body of the message by pressing Shift+Insert.

And hurry up.. i wanna see these pic's to

Comment

Sounds like a great score. You've got a hell of a good bike there.
          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll try to post some pics tonight when I get home from work.

The oil I put in the final drive is all over my garage floor (the diff is fine, though) so I'll need to sort that out as soon as I receive the new manual.

Another GS'er says that there may be a missing oil level screw, so hopefully that'll be all that's wrong with it, although it's a fact that "Murphy" has a particular interest in motorcycles............. Cheers, Terry. :twisted:

Comment

On my shaft drive 450, the rear gear case has two plugs, one to drain , and one to fill. The one to fill is visible from the top, obviously....

The proper procedure is to put the bike on the centerstand and fill it till it just begins to overflow.

I use 80W90 gear oil. Usually Valvoline non-synthetic GL-5.

If it is leaking, and the drain plug is intact, I would bet on a missing or blown oil seal in the drivetrain.

Matt

Comment

Here's a couple of pics:

Comment

G'day Terry, 10 years ago an Aussie bloke visiting the US turned me on to a band called Things Of Stone And Wood. Since then I've tried to keep up with the Melbourne music scene via the internet. There's a lot of Aussie talent that the US doesn't know about and I think it's a shame. What types of music do you like? Are there any local bands you know of that you'd recommend?

Good luck with the shaftie, looks like a decent bike!

Cheers,

Floyd

Comment

G'Day Floyd, you're right mate, there are a lot of good bands here, but it's hard to break into the US market, which is a shame, because the sooner the "Rap" fashion disappears, and people start singing again, the better. (IMHO)

See if you can listen to a band called "Powderfinger" and "Thirstymerc", two of my favourites mate, I think you'll like them too. Cheers, Terry. :twisted:

Comment

the sooner the "Rap" fashion disappears, and people start singing again, the better
                      Couldn't agree more!

Thanks for the links, I know I've heard of Powderfinger but I can't place where I've heard of them. Thirstymerc is new to me and from the sound samples on their site I think I'd like them. I may just have to order one of their CD's. Thanks for the tip!

I love Splurge and Ruck Rover, both bands have members originally from TOSAW but each have their own very different sound.

Comment

Working...
                      X