1976 Gs750 whats interchangeable ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1976 Gs750 whats interchangeable ?

Thats what Im asking here .what parts from later models ,say up till 82 including 550, 850, 1100 , or even Gt models will I be able to use on my basket project 76 GS750 E (Canadian model) for instance forks and tripple trees, ,guages ignition parts say to convert to pointless (CDI) ..what do I need to find.. I intend to keep track of all findings as the project progresses and post the info to help the next poor basket weaver ...I know you can cross the numbers on a suzuki site and get some info but someone that replys with practical info would really be appriciated here after all thats one reason lots of bikes are parked and later sold for parts ..because of tweaked fork tubes..
    thanks in advance for any advice !

GS 750 Parts interchangeability

Firstly, on an old GS 750, I wouldn't go with a later model CDI; the igniter boxes are known for failures. I would go with a Dyna electronic ignition, probably an S, and if you're so inclined, the Dyna Green (3 ohm) coils, for higher spark-voltage and current output. You currently have the mechanical advancer that this coversion requires. As far as front ends go, the GS 750s have 35 mm fork diameter, and so do the GS 650s, although if you go to www,alpha-sports.com they say the forks are 37mm, but they are really 35mm. The GS 650 forks are about 1/2" shorter, but should slip right into your triple-trees by loosening the pinch bolts. I'm sure there are many other interchangeable parts, but since the GS 850 and GS 1000 use 37mm fork tubes, the 650 or 750 tubes are the only ones that fit without changing over to tapered-roller steering head bearings and some machine work to the steering stem to allow other triple-trees to be mounted on your GS750. I have a 1978 GS 750, so I've looked into this a bit
    1979 GS 1000

Comment

i Have used the GS650 front forks from an '83 (I believe (salvage yard purchase)) on my '78 550 after reending a van... the triple trees did not fit (wider) (Bearing different).. The only other issue is that the 650's were leading axle and the 550 was centerline with fork travel ( two bolt caps). a '77 would more likely use the 550 forks rather than the 650 unless desiring to completely change bearing types. Although his is a Canadian model I don't think there is much difference in the forks.

Comment

Originally posted by jknappsax
        I have a 1978 GS 750, so I've looked into this a bit
        I will bear witness to this, it was in my garage that we determined the 650G forks would work.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

thanks guys but im still in the dark on this one

reposted today the forks I have recieved today from ebay have the tapered roller bearings ..my bike has ball bearings ..this is still where im at ...

Comment

I dont have 650 g forks ...

still gotta chase the numbers to find out what forks i recieved ..

Comment

Working...
            X