Tool kit question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tool kit question

Here's a question I haven't been able to find the answer to. When I bought my bike (82 GS450L), it didn't come with a toolkit. I think I see a spot for a small tool box under the left side cover (near the battery). Is this where it goes?

Is it possible to buy the original tool kits that came with this style of bike?

Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Most of the tool kits were located in the tail cowl.

You can probably buy a new tool kit on Bike Bandit. Ebay has 'em every now and then.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Yes you can still get them....$40+ You could probably do better by making
      up your own kit. This way you get exactly what you need and more.

Part #17

Comment

Originally posted by beby99
        Yes you can still get them....$40+ You could probably do better by making
        up your own kit. This way you get exactly what you need and more.

Part #17
        Awesome! OK, I was right about where it goes. I don't really care if I have the correct one, I just mainly wanted to know where it was supposed to go. I am going to find a container that fits in that spot and put the tools I need in there.

Also, I'll have to find a better way to attach that side-panel, the previous owner has it on a cotter-pin system that's really irritating to take off and on.

Comment

I have a WindZone EK-1M kit and it's great. I really don't think you'd get it in the factory location, though. Mine's corroded a bit, so I'm going to try to find a waterproof place to put it. However, as far as packaging and content it's hard to beat. I'm not sure if it's still on the market, though. Last I checked, they were mostly selling HD kits rather than metric items.

Comment

OK, you're definitely out of luck on the Windzone kits unless you can find one used. Nothing on their website about metric kits and nothing on eBay anymore either.

Comment

Try Cruztools.
              They have a few different sets of tools.
              I bought a kit, around $35 and has almsot everything I need for road side assistance.

I doubt it will fit in the tool slot though.
              I carry mine in the tank bag
              Keith
              -------------------------------------------
              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I would decide what tools I wanted, and put them in the kit.

Personal experience:

While away from home, and n order to correct a loose nut on a mirror, I bought a set of 9 small sockets and 9 screwdriver tips along with with a 1/4 inch plastic T-handle in a dollar store.

With the mirror fixed, all of it was tossed into the saddlebag.

Before venturing off on a long trip (2500 miles return) I put in vice grips and a short-handle 1/4 drive ratchet.

(I have other items as well, but they do not fit in this story)

The electrical system overheated and fried, leaving me parked on the side of a highway.

Disconnected the R/R (fun to do with no light) then put everything back together and drove to my daughter's house.

The dollar set was used to remove all components, and the vice grips were used to loosen the stator, and tighten it.

Tool items needed to be obtained locally: soldering iron and a borrowed Volt/ohmmeter.

All the work was done with the small items obtained for one dollar, and the ratchet. The vice grips were needed only for the stator bolts, (and used carefully to avoid damage) as I did not have an impact driver.

The T-handle was OK for the mirror, but the ratchet is much easier to use.

I have since acquired a small VOM which stays with the bike.

I still have the dollar set, and I am amazed at the quality of the things.
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
                X