How about a "Penny Tech" forum...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about a "Penny Tech" forum...

Saw this on another bike forum, things like flashlight reflectors behind the turn signal bulbs to increase brightness, 1 1/2" PVC collared ABS Pipe (15" with 1/2" notch in one end to hook into right swing arm spool) as an roadside alternative to centerstand. Use parking brake and tripod off the front tire and side stand.
    You know what I mean, - free stuff. Some of the best mods are the ones you think of yourself.
    I'll start it off with my homemade chain oiler, made from some leftover hospital supplies and model airplane parts...
    Last edited by tkent02; 02-23-2006, 09:47 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

I want more details on the home made oiler. Pics as well.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Give me a few days to get the pics...

Forgot to take some while I was in there. Basically copied Loobman's concept with a few improvements.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I think it's a great idea.
        "penny tech" is what keeps Me on the road now...:-D

...like the clear plastic "fish tank" tubing I was breathing out of to keep My helmet from fogging up in 22 degree weather. No kidding, it works. Ran it down into My jacket so I would be breathing warm air.

Comment

I'm pennytech'n it if I'm lucky!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
            I want more details on the home made oiler. Pics as well.
            A pic of the PVC centerstand alternative too, when you get to it, please!

Tony.
            '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
            Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Brake bleeding and fork oil leveling

I use a big 2 oz plastic disposable syringe with some fish tank tubing to vacuum bleed my brakes. Works great, just hold some vacuum on the bleeder valve and open it up. Keep adding fluid as needed, and pump and tap all the joints to get all the air out.

I also use one to fill fork oil. Just use another piece of hose attached to a stick of some kind holding at your desired fork oil level, fill with oil, then suck up any excess to your pre-set level into your syringe.

Comment

syringe

If you have something like that you should bleed the brakes from the bottom up. The first time I did that it took me a week to get used to them and my mates stopped borrowing my bike. I had a big old vets syringe that held about a pint.

Comment

i was thinking that a DIY forum would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by Llamaguy
                    i was thinking that a DIY forum would be nice
                    That get my vote!
                    The cheeper the better!
                    I keep hitting on the guys I ride with that ALL it takes to OWN their bikes is MONEY.

Comment

This sounds like a great segment for the Red Green Show only using duct tape, the handyman's secret weapon.

Comment

cheap way to hold on side covers' emblems

Did you ever lose or break those clips that have a hole in the middle of them and hold on the emblems ona side cover? I did and thought "The dealer?" NO
                        I took a soda can (I know not a penny, actually 5 cents deposit here in ny) and cut it into a piece the similiar size as the clip. I took a pocket knife and made an "X" throught the tin. I popped it on then post of the emblem and pused it down next to the back of the back of the cover and 500 miles and still holding well.

Comment

Here's one for ya'll...After 24 some odd years of existance, the battery bungee on my bike broke. Wouldn't you know...Backorder indefinately. I used some marking string (high tensile strength...Used for streching staight lines between battenboards) and looped it around the hooks provided for the bungee. I tied a bailers knot in it, and she has been holding steady for over 1000 miles. just cut and retie if needed...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
                            Here's one for ya'll...After 24 some odd years of existance, the battery bungee on my bike broke. Wouldn't you know...Backorder indefinately. I used some marking string (high tensile strength...Used for streching staight lines between battenboards) and looped it around the hooks provided for the bungee. I tied a bailers knot in it, and she has been holding steady for over 1000 miles. just cut and retie if needed...
                            Backordered eh? I just got one from my dealer. May not be the same for your 650 though. Walmart sells a set of very small minature bungies. I used one of them for months.

Comment

Working...
                            X