No announcement yet.

80 GS450 Engine Stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have just rebuilt a GS400 that was sat for 5 years. I tested the compression and only got 60 psi. I had stuck piston rings, which wouldn't come unstuck (I tried an environmentally friendly equivalent of PB Blaster - they don't sell that in Canada). I ended up taking the engine out and taking the cylinder block off to free the rings.

I hope yours is easier.

Comment

That is something I have thought about. I don't think it is that bad though. It didn't take much and it is still sitting with the marvel oil in the cylinders.

Allen

Comment

Mine sat for about 2 years, and was similarly frozen. I sprayed the cylinders with pb, over the course of a few days. I had the motor out, which of course made it a whole lot easier, but I managed to wiggle it free with a 1" socket on the crank. I would have done the whole wheel thing while it was still in, but figured it would cause stress on the tranny and all. Had to take it out anyhow.

I'd be extremely careful not to stress it too much, and ease it back into service.

Comment

It is now free and turns great with the starter. I actually fired the motor with some carb cleaner. I didn't do a compression test yet though.

The carbs are half done. I have cleaned one and still need to do the other. Hoping it will run soon.

Allen

Comment

add marvel mystery oil and sea foam to the cylenders. that will help brake them free.

spraying sea foam down the carbs will help free the stuck needles. if your going to do the rebuild right and replace all the orings then soak them for a bit in some good carb dip. it will eat away all the orings and most of the gunk in the carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by gremlin
              add marvel mystery oil and sea foam to the cylenders. that will help brake them free.

spraying sea foam down the carbs will help free the stuck needles. if your going to do the rebuild right and replace all the orings then soak them for a bit in some good carb dip. it will eat away all the orings and most of the gunk in the carbs.
              Exactly. It sat for about 3 weeks after I got it loose with the marvel oil in there.

I have taken the carbs all the way apart and dipped them. New orings from Robert Barr and intake rings from Macmatic.

Hope to ride it soon.

Allen

Comment

Working...
              X