cheap cross-over fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cheap cross-over fix

I thought i'd share this little trick. I recently had to replace the crossover in my 82 gs850glz. It is an easy fix, but the cross-over pipe is expensive (about $70). I bought 2 pieces of pipe, 1" inlet 1 1/2" outlet about 16" long, and another piece 2 1/2" and 8" long approx. Squeeze the 2 1/2" piece in a vise until you can fit 2- 15/16 sockets inside to keep it from flattening out. Use the old cross-over as a template and measure carefully to align all the pipes. Use an 1 1/2" hole saw to cut the pipes so they fit together nicely. I know i'm skipping a few steps, but if you look at the old one it is easy to figure out. The cost of my fix...... $16...including the cost of 2 new exhaust clamps.

A Mcguiver repair

Comment

I thought it was a Mickey Mouse repair LOL. It worked great though. Not a single leak. I let a friend do the welding. Otherwise it would have been duct taped LOL. I have a pic of it. It was a quicky fix until the actual piece arrived. I'll post it as soon as I figure out how to add pics.

Comment

To attach a photo, just make a new post and click on the "manage attachments" button below before you hit "submit reply."

On the "manage attachments" page, you'll have to hit "browse" to find the picture you want to upload, and then click "upload" to get it stored. Once you've done that, you just hit "close this window. When you submit the post, the image file will be attached!

This assumes you have the image saved on your computer already. I'd be interested in seeing the photos, since I am facing a crossover repair/replacement in the near future.

Thanks!

Comment

I guess it's to big to post. I can send it to you if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by dennis roy
            I guess it's to big to post. I can send it to you if you like.
            Put it into Photobucket and you can resize. No trouble posting from there.

Comment

Photobucket??? what is that?

Comment

Originally posted by dennis roy
                Photobucket??? what is that?
                A free service where you can store photos online. It's easy to post photo here from there.
                http://photobucket.com/

Comment

I think I got it LOL

Comment

...and now it's even included in the post -- Looks Good!

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                    X