GS550 Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 Tips

I put some flat bars on my 1980 GS550E. Previously I have junked the stock wheelbarrow bars, installed Superbike bars (not bad), tried clip-ons (good but make your shoulders and neck sore after a while), and now have installed some unused flat bars from a friend that cost all of $16! I like them. The bike is nice and snappy feeling.

The bars are coupled with Avon Roadrunners. These tires are great! They wear well and handle beautifully. This old GS is really a fun bike now.

I got a 78 550 what's the difference with the bars?

Comment

Well, your 1978 probably had the same bars as my 1980. They're the stock "GS" bars, and as far as I'm concerned, they suck. Too wide, too much pull-back, too much rise, and the make you too set back. Flat bars are flat, and on this bike, to me, finally work right.

Comment

I've gone through three sets of bars on my 550. I"m 5'5" so the drag/straight bars were to long for me. The superbike bars are about ideal.

the only problem with straight bars is they'll hit the tank.

do you still have those clipons?
        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Flat bars won't hit the tank. I still have the clip-ons, and they're the Tarozzi offset ones so they won't hit the tank either.

Comment

drag bars (aka flat bars with a 1.5" pullback) would hit my tank on my 1980 gs550E Is
            You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
            If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
            1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
            1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
            1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
            1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
            1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

i put some z-bars w/a 3 inch rise on my 78 550 and they were just right for me

Comment

Racer BoyZ...you'd luv my L bars, not.

Here's a tip for your 550, keep the oil and filter changed, keep the tach out of the red zone and it'll last a loonnngggg time.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor

Here's a tip for your 550, keep the oil and filter changed, bury the tach in the red zone and it'll last a loonnngggg time.

Fixed...
                  1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

lol.

Comment

Originally posted by AOD View Post
                      lol.

i use renthal bars in anaodised blue . my 550 is black with the blue rising sun behind the tank badge . they handle great and look good too.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor View Post

Here's a tip for your 550, keep the oil and filter changed, keep the tach out of the red zone and it'll last a loonnngggg time.
                        I got the stock 86 L bars

All I need is a set of straight bars, lengthen my fork out, move the licence plate to the side, put on an uncumfy seat, and I'd have a chopper, wait, it's too quick. I'd have to put on some sort of restrictor plate, and chop off my mufflers

Comment

Working...
                        X