Carb-airbox boots won't stay on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb-airbox boots won't stay on?

Maybe this has been covered extensively here but thought I'd post. I noticed that the rubber boots that attach the air box to the rear of the carbs on my 82 gs750 wouldn't seat fully just from pushing the box forward. I could push them forward and try to tighten the clamps at the same time but they would inevitably slip back off. Took the air box out and noticed that the boots were not even, the two in the middle of the air box in particular were caved in. Detached them from the air box and it became obvious the plastic of air box was warped from age or heat or whatever.

So my solution was--stack some sockets/washers up inside the air box to spread the plastic until the holes are even and then heat up that wall of the air box with a heat gun to re-form the plastic. Here's a pic to illustrate what I did, figured I'd post it in case it might help someone out who has the same issue.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Yes the plastic seems to dish in over time. Ive done this to every plastic box ive ever dealt with . Outer ones seat normally but two inside ones wont.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
      Yes the plastic seems to dish in over time. Ive done this to every plastic box ive ever dealt with . Outer ones seat normally but two inside ones wont.
      Yep exactly. It's really not a great design because there is zero support in the middle of this large plastic box. A couple of abutments in the middle would have prevented that, surprised the Japs didn't think of that they seem to think of everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by longranger44 View Post

Yep exactly. It's really not a great design because there is zero support in the middle of this large plastic box. A couple of abutments in the middle would have prevented that, surprised the Japs didn't think of that they seem to think of everything else.
        Thanks for tip. My GS1000 airbox fits a bit funky so this winter I'll check that out. As for the Japs not thinking about it I don't I think they thought we be riding these things 40-45 years
        later. LOL
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
        https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post

Thanks for tip. My GS1000 airbox fits a bit funky so this winter I'll check that out. As for the Japs not thinking about it I don't I think they thought we be riding these things 40-45 years
          later. LOL
          True lol. If they didn't want that then they shouldn't have made them so damn well!
          another little tip, I used my heat gun on its hottest setting but make sure to keep it moving so it doesn't heat up any one area too much, if it starts to turn shiny it's too hot.
          Last edited by longranger44; 10-02-2024, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X