Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to start a GS450 after five years

Hi All,

I recently bought an 81 GS450T. It looks like it is in good shape, and the previous owner had it garaged and non-op since 2001. From what I've read on this forum, and from what my mechanic has told me, it is best to do the least necessary to get the bike running. I.e. don't start breaking down the carbs and all if it isn't necessary.

I'm inclined to just:

1. replace the old gas in the tank
    2. drain any gas in the carbs
    3. connect the new battery
    4. try and start the bike (with the petcock in prime)

Is there anything else I should do before trying to start the bike? Is there something I should squirt through the airbox into the carbs? Or should I try my four steps and then debug further if that fails?

Thanks in advance,
    Matt
    --------
    '81 GS450L (running)
    '81 GS450T (almost-running)

well, I wouldnt suggest listening to me, unless someone else backs me up (my methods are a bit unconventional), but I basically did what you listed, but to get it going, I needed to start it a few times with starter fluid. wait in beween times though, because starter fluid burns hotter...or so Ive been told. I have attempted to get two bikes running, and twice that has worked... but like I said, wait for someone elses advice...

Comment

Just a couple thoughts:

* Consider looking in the airbox / air filter area prior to starting (even if you don't use starter fluid). I found out the hard way that mice had made a kitchen & bathroom out of mine (found out after driving it home from seller).

* Could try starting it after your steps, but wouldn't run it long w/o oil & oil filter change (oh yeah, chk oil lev)... Of course that'd be part of all the reg. maint. you'll need to do prior to riding (chain lube, etc.)

Good luck.

Comment

For some more info:

* I have had a look in the airbox and it is clean aside from some oil, I think the prev. owner oiled the filter a bit too much. The filter is clean, if a little oily.

* The oil level is topped out and the oil looks clean

Question:

when you say "starter fluid" are you talking about BBQ starter? And I spray it in the airbox?

Thanks,
        Matt

Comment

Originally posted by matt_gs450 View Post

Question:

when you say "starter fluid" are you talking about BBQ starter? And I spray it in the airbox?

Thanks,
          Matt
          NO! DO NOT PUT LIGHTER FLUID IN THE AIRBOX!

He's talking about starter fluid, ether.

Place a fire extinguisher near, but not too near the bike when attempting to start.

Comment

Good stuff here.

Motorcycle Repair Information, Do it Yourself Motorcycle Repair Course, .

Comment

Here's the full story on how I did mine, earlier this year. http://www.geocities.com/cberkeley/GS650G.html

Comment

Thanks! Very helpful...

That's one sharp-looking bike... Well done.

I really appreciate the detail in your web pages. That's the kind of thing I've been looking for as it's hard for me to know where to start. After initially trying to just get the engine to turn over this weekend, I'll take a deep breath and use your project as a guide to restoring this bike. If I have the ultimate patience, I'll photograph the steps and put up the results on my website.

Thanks again,
                Matt

Comment

Originally posted by matt_gs450 View Post
                  Question:

Thanks,
                  Matt

no, go to an auto store and look near all the fuel and oil additives...its in a spray can. this stuff is magical (to me)

Comment

Well it started without much trouble but

So, I put about 12 hours in this weekend getting the bike ready to start. I had to get new gas, charge the battery, clean the electrical connections, put air in the tires, blah blah.

Once all that was done though, the engine fired up with the choke on (no need for the BBQ fluid). It was impossible for it to idle without the choke though. And opening up the throttle didn't get much response. The only thing that got the RPMs up was to leave the choke on, and eventually the RPMs would climb to about 5K.

My uncle (who has more experience with working on bikes than me) was there and suggested we take off the carbs and have a look. So I have the carbs on the workbench and the next step is to clean/reassemble and see if anything is obviously wrong. The first thing I noticed is that the left carb bowl was fully soaked (bottom to top) with gas whereas the right one was not. Maybe the left was flooded...

I'll start posting to a new thread regarding the carburetors. Does anything jump out at anybody so far?

Thanks,
                    Matt

Comment

Firstly, you're in the right place. Clean-up those carbs. Pay attention to all the passages and jets. There's a lot of info here on carb rebuilding http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm. Do one carb at a time and DO NOT mix up the parts between carbs. DO NOT soak the rubber stuff.
                      Last edited by Guest; 09-05-2006, 03:27 PM.

Comment

and change the noil before starting it again.
                        the "clean" looking stuff could be fuel that bypassed into the oil cavity.
                        Keith
                        -------------------------------------------
                        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Movie of the first start. Maybe clues to the problem

Here is a short movie (quick time format) of the first start. At the time we said "wow it sounds good" but after listening to the recording, it sounds like a lawn mower doesn't it?

I'm going to start a new thread for the carburetor rebuild once I have some more information and questions to post.

Thanks everyone so far,
                          Matt

Comment

When I rebuilt my carbs the biggest thing was making sure the needle valves were completely clean and free moving and same with the floats. I suggest using an old egg carton (the cardboard kind) to keep the pieces organized and just remember to put it all back together in the reverse of how you took it apart. I also used some carb cleaner and sprayed thru the fuel lines to make sure everything was open to the bowls.

Have fun!

Comment

While you have the carbs off, change the O rings on the intake boots...I'll bet they're flattened out and useless by now. Cheap fix and will save a lot of headaches later.
                              1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
                              The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Working...
                              X