How to convert fuel tap to non-vacuum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to convert fuel tap to non-vacuum

I have a 1979 GS1000E. Even after rebuild, fuel tap (petcock) was still passing fuel in "On" and "Res" with engine not running, confirming what others have said regarding quality of the kits. Tried smoothing the conical seat where the o-ring rests and also stretching the spring slightly, to no avail. I could have bought a new tap but decided I wanted a real "Off" position so here's what I did:
    If you take off the piece with the lever, you'll see it has 2 channels in the inside face; a short straight and a curved. If you study the the various fuel tap passages, you'll see that the straight one carries the fuel for both the "On" and "Res" positions since it carries it from the top (On) or the right (Res) feeds from the tank to the centre hole which is the one controlled by the vacuum. From there, it goes "downstairs" to the exit. The curved channel takes the fuel directly from the reserve feed to the bottom hole whuch then goes to the exit so this one is for the "Prime".
    First I disabled the Prime function by filling the curved channel with 2-part epoxy (I used JB Weld). Put enough in so it's just above the surface level (clamp the piece so the flat face is horizontal) then, when fully cured, put a piece of emery paper on a very flat surface and rub the face of the tap on it until it is all smooth and flush. Next disable the vacumm operation. I did this by removing both the o-ring and the spring from the vacuum diaphragm assembly. If there's any signs of fuel shortage, I'll remove the plunger piece that holds the o-ring completely but so far not necessary.

Et voila! Now your "On" and "Res" are "full time" and your "Prime" has become your "Off".

Do you have a picture or illustration of the inside of the petcock, or of what you've done in there?

Comment

...If you cut the arm off the lever, you'll be able to turn the petcock 360 degrees. Turning it straight up closes off all fuel passages. At least it did on mine.

Comment

i just put in a inline fuel valve. maybe i should give this a try though.

Comment

Another method of turning off the gas...

Just put a small valve in the vacuum line, so that one position seals the line from the carb and vents the line to the petcock. Instant off
          position. No need to take the petcock apart.
          This would only work with a functional petcock so it doesn't apply here.
          Sorry.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Mine started leaking into my #2 carb. I put a plug on the carb and a plug on the petcock vacuum line. Now ON is OFF and PRIME is ON. I do believe, unfortunately, that this eliminates RESERVE.

Comment

i tried doing this a while ago and ended up with no reserve. what did i do wrong?

Comment

If the in tank filter is still in place there should be no reason you shouldn't still have a reserve. A few years back someone posted about cutting the stop off the petcock itself that prevents the lever from pointing straight up. Doing this moves the petcock to a postion where fuel can't flow.

Comment

Thanks Tom...

I have been "worrying" about that possibility for years, thanks Tom!

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                  X