rectifier/ regulator Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rectifier/ regulator Question

Im sure this has been asked before, I did some searches and couldnt find anything specific. My charging system on my GS1150 ES is putting out only 12 volts. I just replaced the battery to start with a good one to make sure. I have started going over the wires looking for weak spots and so far so good except for where the black neg. enters the r/r. I had read that adding an seperate wire from the regulator to the negative post on the battery will help. Any chance i might gain some voltage back from doing this?

Guy

Yes, it is entirely possible that will help.

While the regulator is trying to regulate, it momentarily shunts (shorts) excess output to ground, then opens up to let some current through, and repeats this process thousands of times per second. If you don't have a good ground, it can not do its job properly. When the bike was new, the r/r was grounded to the chassis at some point, which is then connected to the battery. Over time, these connections will deteriorate a bit, so a dedicated wire straight to the battery will assure proper connection.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks,
      Nice to know i have hope anyways.... I pulled the R/R and the plug for the negative is a little scorched. I will post with the results of cleaning the connections ect.

Guy

Comment

Finally got around to getting a multimeter, I printed out the stator pages and went to work last night. Checked battery that had 12.89 volts. started bike up and let idle, bike is putting out 12.10 volts and doesnt increase with rpms.
        Go on to next step on the stator pages...
        checked the red wire that comes out of the rr to the positive on the battery. Traced it through the harness to the fuse box. took my time taking the fuse block off. Cleaned the connections, everything looks good. Retested the battery with no gain in voltage. Rechecked the red wire comimg out of the rr and the numbers went up from .22 to .26.
        Kinda leaves me stuck.. im thinking about skipping ahead and trying to test the stator. Anybody know where its good to access the wires off the stator on a Gs1150es?

Comment

Originally posted by tallyhoe View Post
          Finally got around to getting a multimeter, I printed out the stator pages and went to work last night. Checked battery that had 12.89 volts. started bike up and let idle, bike is putting out 12.10 volts and doesnt increase with rpms.
          Go on to next step on the stator pages...
          checked the red wire that comes out of the rr to the positive on the battery. Traced it through the harness to the fuse box. took my time taking the fuse block off. Cleaned the connections, everything looks good. Retested the battery with no gain in voltage. Rechecked the red wire comimg out of the rr and the numbers went up from .22 to .26.
          Kinda leaves me stuck.. im thinking about skipping ahead and trying to test the stator. Anybody know where its good to access the wires off the stator on a Gs1150es?
          Generally under the gas tank you will find the three leads with male and female connectors allowing the stator to be removed.

Comment

So is that where i should test the stator from?

Comment

Thought everybody would like to know that i tested the stator and had good readings on all three wires, RR must be bad because i couldnt get a reading on the positive side while doing a ohms test... Called Ricks motorsports and they said they will have me a new one here tommorow!

Guy

Comment

tallyho, please check that r/r ground again. If the black wire is attached to the r/r mounting screw, it may not be a good ground. The panel that the r/r is mounted on may be isolated from the frame with rubber grommets. I found this to be the problem on General Zod's bike.

Comment

The test i did was with the RR off the bike, i was doing a continuity test from the Stator pages. I had previously taken a second ground wire from the RR to the negative post of the battery without any affect...

Guy

Comment

Charging problem solved. replaced the RR with a new one from Ricks. Got it in one day! putting our between 13.5 and 14 volts now...

Comment

Working...
                    X