Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where do all the big guys go for gear?

OK -

I'm 6'7" and 310lbs and I'm having the hardest time finding gear that fits, specifically a jacket. I've hit the local shops, the local Cycle Gear (which can order stuff in but is taking forever), and online. My biggest issue with online ordering is the paranoia of ordering something only to find out the hard way that it doesn't fit. I'm also finding that motorcycle gear brands tend to vary their sizes WIDELY. Some jackets are close to fitting, while others are a joke.

I'm looking for a textile jacket, preferrably mesh or something with a removable liner, but whatever. I'd like it to come down just a little further than a 'fitted' cut (no one wants to see the gut or the crack going down the road. believe me), and preferrably not ALL black. if you can recommend a store, brand, or specific jacket that would fit my needs, i'd greatly appreciate it!

thanks!

Mike

not sure about sizes you need. but try Newenough.com good prices and good stuff.

Comment

http://newenough.com has a special section for the "Hard to Fit" folks. They will also have outstanding prices on gear. There's a link on the left side just under the search box. Newenough also is well-known to have the best sizing info available. They actually have real people try on the stuff to see if the manufacturers' size charts are accurate.

Another problem is that jacket sizes over XXL tend to be available only in black, which is about the worst imaginable color for motorcycle gear.

Hein Gericke gear is available in a lot of larger and taller sizes, but it tends to be a bit expensive. NewEnough doesn't have much of it, but you can find other online retailers.

As an example, looking on Newenough's site, the FirstGear mesh-tex jacket is available up to XXXXL in various colors. I'm 6'1", I wear a suit jacket size 50 or 52, and I know FirstGear and Joe Rocket stuff in XXL fits me just fine, with a bit of extra room for a sweatshirt. There's a good chance the XXXXL would work for you.

Most of the Euro and Asian stuff, like Alpinestars, runs much smaller -- I'd need a XXXL in Alpinestars, and they probably don't make a jacket that would have a chance at fitting you.

Power Trip is another brand that seems to be available in more bigfella sizes. It's high quality stuff, but it's all badass biker black.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

i've found a couple of jackets through Teknic that come up to a 56 chest and (hopefully) will be long enough. I ordered two and will likely hold on to both (one's a summer jacket, one more of an all-season).

i'll post up a quick review when they come in to hopefully help out any of the other big guys on the site.

Mike

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm 6'6" and weigh 300#. I need to put these sites on my fav cause I don't have any decent gear.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

here's one (Teknic Supervent Mesh):

and the other (Teknic Magnum):

i like the first one a lot because: 1) it's not all black (i'm getting the black/orange combo) and 2) it's waist length, which means it should be long enough. may actually fit me at the hip, but it's better than having the guy behind me stare at my plumber's crack, lol!

edit: just found the 2nd one on sale at www.bikebandit.com for about half what i paid. i just cancelled my order with Cycle Gear and placed it with BikeBandit. now i guess i don't feel as bad about buying 2 jackets.

Edit again: OK, bike bandit can get me BOTH jackets for what i would've paid through CycleGear. bitchin!

Mike
            Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2007, 07:37 PM.

Comment

I just bought an XXL, blue, Joe Rocket Ballistic on eBay. $53 including shipping. I was the only bidder. It fits perfectly.

I've also seen XXXL sizes available on eBay. True, it's a gamble, but I have yet to be disappointed in any of my eBay transactions; been a member since 2001. I'm satisfied with this Joe Rocket deal as well.

Comment

I wear a 2X or 3X depending on cut and manufacturer.

Try these guys
                www.brocktoncycle.com

Or www.motorace.com ask for Dave, he's a good guy (a friend) and he is a 3x or 4x guy
                Keith
                -------------------------------------------
                1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

For leathers and stuff, I went to www.leatherup.com Their prices seem very descent and they have a big selection in a wide range of sizes. They also have a 30day money back garuntee. I just ordered some stuff from them that should arrive tomorrow. So far everything has been pretty straight forward from them.

Comment

I am 6 2 and 300 lbs, and I have found that the First Gear Kilamanjaro air, in a size XXXL, and the overpant air, size 4XL have worked wonderfully. In Canada, the company that brings in all the clothing seems to only bring in the middle of the road sizes. Like big or small people don't ride. I got the jacket from a local shop, on sale, but I had to buy the pants direct on the internet.

John

Comment

Your problem won't be covering the girth. It will be getting the length. Not many manufacturers offer tall sizes. I am 6'5" and weigh around 210. My struggle is to keep shins and wrists covered. You may be better off than I am because the manufacturers seem to make the assumption that if you need additional length you must also need a larger size as well.

My mesh jacket is from First Gear which I believe I got on sale at New Enough.

I just recently got some textile riding pants by Fieldsheer from these folks.

Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Aerostich.com

They have a sizing tool on the website. Good customer service and a good reputation.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X