Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trick for getting front fork caps back on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trick for getting front fork caps back on...

I recently installed longer spacers in the front forks of my "82 1100G. The front fork was spongy & I didn't want to put progressive springs in yet (read, too cheap to buy the progressives).

I struggled with trying to compress the longer spacer down to where I could catch the thread on the cap - VERY difficult to push down & turn at the same time.

About the time I was contemplating how far I could throw the cap into the woods, my ex-wife had this suggestion (I'm working in her garage because she has one, & I don't):

We took a 12" length of plastic tube - the white, thin wall drain tube that extends down from the backside of a sink drain - and pushed the fork plug into the end (you have to unthread the air valve from the cap first, but that's no big deal). The tubing wall bends a little to grab on to the upright portion of the cap, while the rest of the tubing sits on the remaining plug shoulder.

Now the plug is essentially 12" long & easy to rotate by turning the tube. It was easy to push down on this contraption & I couldn't believe how quickly I got the plug started in those fine little threads. I thought it was just a fluke that we started the first cap in less than 5 sec, but the second cap went on just as quickly & smoothly. I was amazed!! Of course the most embarrassing part was I told my ex her idea wouldn't work & only tried it out of desperation!

Anyway, it worked great for me, maybe someone out there will have similar success.

Good luck,

Mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Great idea! Will have to try it next time.

Comment

Nice tip! Might the wife deserve a little something special for that one?

Comment

Not sure my "wife" wants to know much about how the "ex" helps me out!
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Hmmm.... Sounds like a new thread for "Tips and Tricks"...
          Mark Fisher
          sigpic

Comment

A "T" handle on a 9" half inch extension, gives you more than enough downward push and the ability to turn it while putting the pressure on the spring.

Comment

Working...
            X