Need Some Shine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Some Shine

The left and right crankcase covers on my 78' GS550 are rather dull and in need of some shining. However, I can't get them to polish up. Please let me know if I just need to get used to their dullness, because I can be ok with that. The chrome shined up nicely by the way. Does anyone have any tips as to how I can bring them back?

Most likely the "dullness" is due to the state of the clearcoat. Paint stripper, oven cleaner or mag wheel cleaner will remove the clearcoat.
    Then you can polish the case and decide if you wish to continue to polish them regularly or re-clearcoat them.

Dink

Comment

My case covers aren't perfect, but they were grey and extremely oxidized when I got the bike, and I polished them up so you can see the reflection of the brake pedal at least.

I just went after it with wet/dry sandpaper starting at 600 grit, then 800, then 1000, then 1500, then 2000, then Mothers Polish that I got at Wall-Mart. It does take some patience and elbow grease, but I've done my forks and case covers and they turned out pretty good.

You can make those suckers shine as bright as you want.....just takes some time and patience. Some guys buy some polishing tools that make the job a little easier. I like to polish and watch Monday Night Football.....so this is polishing season.

There are some good polishing web sites as well. Go for it.....polishing is good for the soul.

Comment

Thank you Dink and Mark for the help. I will be working on those covers to bring back the shine. Mark, yours look really good. That's what I'm looking for.

Comment

I'd despaired of getting anything shiny on the case covers until I'd read a thread or two like this.

It's made all the difference. Thanks.
          Mark Fisher
          sigpic
          ..............................27 years

Comment

I stripped off the clearcoat and sprayed 'em with high temp aluminum paint. Looks great -- just like fresh cast aluminum. Much easier than polishing!

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
              I stripped off the clearcoat and sprayed 'em with high temp aluminum paint. Looks great -- just like fresh cast aluminum. Much easier than polishing!

I didn't need another bike with cases to keep polished so I used high temp black on my GS and they look pretty good too...

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lich View Post
                I didn't need another bike with cases to keep polished so I used high temp black on my GS and they look pretty good too...
                My cases are black and the covers are aluminum colored paint. Looks neat IMHO.

Comment

This thread couldn't have come at a better time. I've been debating how to refinish the cases, side covers and fork sliders on my GK. They're all pretty bad. I'd like to see some of these parts you guys have painted. How about posting some pics?
                  Thanks,
                  Willie in TN
                  Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                  '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                  '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                  '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post
                    This thread couldn't have come at a better time. I've been debating how to refinish the cases, side covers and fork sliders on my GK. They're all pretty bad. I'd like to see some of these parts you guys have painted. How about posting some pics?
                    Thanks,
                    Willie in TN
                    Man, you don't have to twist my arm about it. I mean, I can't stand going out to the garage, staring at the GS, lovingly running a cloth and some Simple Green over its strong stylish lines, finding the best angle, composing a shot.... uhh where was I?

They looked like this before:

Last edited by Guest; 09-05-2007, 11:50 PM.

Comment

More pics here:

Comment

Mate,

I had a similar problem on my GSX1400 - my side covers were lookin pretty shabby - corroded and butt ugly - and they were laquered. I got hold of one of these polishing kits for use on a drill and within about 30 minutes they were a near mirror finish. \\/ You can kinda see the finish acheived in the pic below....

Comment

Looks great! Thanks alot!
                          Willie in TN
                          Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                          '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                          '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                          '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Working...
                          X