bug removal trick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bug removal trick

Dampen the bike or helmet, dampen a non-scented dryer sheet, rub gently and bugs are gone, really clean finish remains. Good for touring. Works great on the helmet visor too.

I saw this in a magazine (Motorcycle Mojo) , and tried it out - really works well, as crazy as it sounds.

I'll have to try that some day, but what I am doing now, is to carry a wet microfiber cloth in a zip-loc sandwich bag in the saddlebag. I wipe the windshield at about every gas stop with the wet rag, then use another microfiber cloth to dry it. If the windshield looks hazy at all, I break out the spray polish and a third microfiber cloth. Each of those three cloths is dedicated to its own task, they never do any other wiping down on the bike. I have a fourth cloth to clean the body work. 8-[

Oh, yeah, when you clean your windshield, only use vertical strokes. On the off chance that you do put scratches in the plastic, vertical strokes will not allow sunlight to catch in the scratch and reflect it into your eyes.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

a big dop of spit and the bottom of my T-shirt does just fine...erm

as long as its the front of the shirt...

the otherside dun do the same clean job ????

gotta stop tuckin the T inside meh undies....:shock:

Comment

If the bugs have been on for a while a mix of water and ammonia 50/50 with a dap of dish soap will disovle those baked on critters. Also works well as a general window and house cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by cvmgtwowheels View Post
          If the bugs have been on for a while a mix of water and ammonia 50/50 with a dap of dish soap will dissolve those baked on critters. Also works well as a general window and house cleaner.
          Just IMHO That is a LOT of ammonia !! I use just 2 oz ammonia 2 oz of vineger and a few drops of dish soap in 1 gallon of water.A strong mix of ammonia strips wax VERY well and can ruin the paint etc.This mix also works good for cleaning grease and oil prior to painting.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharkmeh View Post
            a big dop of spit and the bottom of my T-shirt does just fine...erm

as long as its the front of the shirt...

the otherside dun do the same clean job ????

gotta stop tuckin the T inside meh undies....:shock:
            Bugger meh, I've missed you :-|

When I lived in FL during June Bug season, it was advisable to smear the front of a car with some baby oil to make removal easier. Might work on fairings, but definitely not visor. Helmet... not sure if I'd do that and if I did it would be sparingly and just in the front.

Just be careful with some dryer sheets and maybe try ones that have been thru the dryer - some of them can be really abrasive depending upon how they're made.

I don't remember who posted this last year, but stuffing fresh scented dryer sheets in the airbox is supposed to keep mice out of them over the winter!
            Last edited by Guest; 09-16-2007, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MissFabulous View Post
              Bugger meh, I've missed you :-|

When I lived in FL during June Bug season, it was advisable to smear the front of a car with some baby oil to make removal easier. Might work on fairings, but definitely not visor. Helmet... not sure if I'd do that and if I did it would be sparingly and just in the front.

Just be careful with some dryer sheets and maybe try ones that have been thru the dryer - some of them can be really abrasive depending upon how they're made.

I don't remember who posted this last year, but stuffing fresh scented dryer sheets in the airbox is supposed to keep mice out of them over the winter!
              missed u to babe

hate to have sensible input... but for those nasty tar spots that kick up (fairing etc) - we use good old WD-40 on our white Govt limos - works better than any of the crap that promises to do the same....

dunno how it would work on helmet visors being plastic...

Phark

Comment

Not really a trick... but if you leave your bike out all night and theres a heavy dew the next morning the bugs wipe right off. Bike looks brand new.

Comment

Originally posted by MissFabulous View Post
                  This helps rectify a slightly-lean condition as well, not to mention makes for some great-smelling exhaust fumes.....:-D
                  For the bugs, I wet a kitchen paper towel (Bounty or whatever) and leave it on the windshield overnight...simply wipe away the mess the next day...on the road, I dont bother with it (I look over the Deflector screen, not through it).

Tony.
                  Last edited by Mysuzyq; 09-16-2007, 02:36 PM.
                  '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                  Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

missed u to babe

hate to have sensible input... but for those nasty tar spots that kick up (fairing etc) - we use good old WD-40 on our white Govt limos - works better than any of the crap that promises to do the same....

dunno how it would work on helmet visors being plastic...

Phark
                    Melts 'em. I hit one with overspray, not paying attention, and it streaked the plastic... except the streaks were embedded in the plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Jedi View Post
                      Melts 'em. I hit one with overspray, not paying attention, and it streaked the plastic... except the streaks were embedded in the plastic.

good to know - Im a shocker for overspray...

Comment

good to know - Im a shocker for overspray...
                        Oh man... you went "there" didn't you... :shock:

Comment

I would highly discourage using ammonia, in any concentration, on the visor or windshield. Ammonia is very bad for many clear/tinted plastics, which is why Windex is not recommended for plastics.

I found a sponge at Wal-Mart that's wrapped in what looks like fishnet, used for washing cars. It looks like the scrubber side of the sqeegees used to clean car windshields. Anyway, it was only a buck, and works great on bug remains using only water.

For tar, I've used two methods. One is to soak a paper towel in Grease and Wax remover (found in the autobody section at most parts stores) and soak the spot for a few seconds before scrubbing on it. The second is to "freeze" the tar using canned air, sprayed with the can inverted, then gently scraping the tar off using a plastic scraper or fingernail.

Comment

Working...
                          X