Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost Key and thanks to this excellent site for a solution!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost Key and thanks to this excellent site for a solution!

Thank Gawd for this site! Friday, coming home beat and tired, I got out of my biking duds and into something more comfy. Saturday morning, couldn't find the keys for nothing. I tore the house apart that Morning and that afternoon. Musta looked through all my pants ten times and even checked every shoe I owned. Looked friggin everywhere over and over again. No key. It vanished. Had to have it when I walked in the house. I even looked all over the bike with a flashlight. Nope. Nada.

So I typed in Lost key or lost keys in the search and sure nough' a solution and that's the three digit code on some of the keyholes on the bike that a locksmith can make a new key with. Some say it's on the gas tank key (not on my 83' GS1100E), some say it's right on the ignition keyhole (not there), so the final spot is the helmet lock. Some of the threads say, you have to remove the lock to see the code on the bottom, but I found out, that all you have to do is remove all the built-up crud on the back of the lock (because it's exposed to the back wheel), and there it was. Right there in tiny little numbers on the back of the helmet lock. I used a bright light to read it and had two keys made today.

Yep, put the key in. A little tough to turn, a bummed moment, then it turned and the lights came on. Whoo-hoo! Thank you all!

Finding the lost keys after getting new ones cut from the Code: priceless. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by ironb12s View Post
      Finding the lost keys after getting new ones cut from the Code: priceless. :-D
      You nailed it! I found the lost key this morning. While taking my helmet out of the soft helmet bag, the key dropped out of the the bag. Now I have three keys!

Comment

Originally posted by Regis View Post
        You nailed it! I found the lost key this morning. While taking my helmet out of the soft helmet bag, the key dropped out of the the bag. Now I have three keys!
        Had something similar happen to me once. Was preparing for a big (2000km or so) multi day ride over Easter, had parked bike (old CB750/4), stuck gloves inside helmet and gone shopping for some new gear. Came back to bike, pulled gloves out, put helmet on, went to put key in ignition before I put gloves on... Hmmm? Where's the damn key? Emptied out all pockets - nothing. Walked back to shop searching ground - nothing. Searched all around inside shop - nothing. Bugger. So walk a couple of miles to Honda shop to see if they had any old keys that I could try at random, and they have a small box full! Borrow box, thinking - "this'll take some time", and walk back. Get to bike, start trying keys, and about the third one works! GREAT! Stow remaining keys in tank bag, put on helmet, put on gloves... HELLO! Take glove off, remove keys. Ride back to Honda shop, search box for a couple of slightly better fitting keys so I had spares, pay and go...

Damn keys had gone straight down the inside of my gloves when I'd dropped them (the keys) into the inside of my helmet with the gloves!
        '07 Yamaha TTR 250 - Exercycle.
        '95 Ducati 900 SL - Duclattery
        '81 Suzuki/Yoshi GSX1135 ET/X - Yoshi
        '84 Suzuki McIntosh - Mac
        '74 Yamaha YZ125A - pain in the rrr's...

Comment

Working...
        X