Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resurface GS Brake Disc Rotors

You probably already know . . .

Instead of replacing your "wavey" out-of-spec brake disc rotors you may consider having the rotors resurfaced on a rotary surface grinder. This was desirable option for me since I had already cross drilled all three of my brake disc rotors. This resurfacing cannot be performed on newer style floating brake disc rotors. I found this service on Ebay, See Seller: smw70ss (Portland Engine Rebuilders?). I believe they have maintained a 100% Positive feedback to date.

When I received the resurfaced rotor, I checked the flatness by placing the resurfaced rotor on the Inspection surface plate and sweeping a dial indicator over the entire surface. The flatness was within tenths. I checked the parallelism with a micrometer with similar results. Unfortunately I had the service performed last year and the price has been raised to $49.99.
    Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Good info, Thanks.

Ive warped 3 sets and had them replaced. I guess if they dont get to thin resurface is an option.

Have we seen pics of your Bikes yet ?
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Steve

Comment

Very nice bike ..

Mike

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
          Very nice bike ..

Mike

Yes, Very nice.

And the ST................
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Love the blue/gold wheel combination, very classy.
            And thanks for the resurfacing tip.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Sweet ride.

Comment

Great job!

I really like it when people go with modifications that look period. Very tasteful! Please post more pictures of the beast.:-D

Comment

Re: Here's a link

If you need your brake rotors resurfaced this guy does excellent work. Still has a 100% positive rating

Steve

Comment

Yes very nice work.

Comment

Never thought about the surface grinder for gs rotors. I've got 6 warped disks in the garage and a flywheel grinder in the shop.....I'll let you know how it turns out (pun intended)!

Comment

Did you ever ask him how much material is actually removed?
                        For my '79 1000E the factory manual states only .02 can be lost (front rotors), then the service limit is reached. Normal wear usually would remove a good .01 That would leave only .01 that could be used to make it flat again or you go past the limit.
                        I'm no brake expert and I've always wondered if you went beyond the service limit, how would that effect the braking? I'm not talking about removing unlimited amounts of material but what if you needed to remove .04 to make it flat again? Could the piston go too far out and cause a problem? Anything else you can think of regarding a too thin rotor? Would the new re-surfaced rotor become warped again too easily/soon?
                        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                          For my '79 1000E the factory manual states only .02 can be lost (front rotors), then the service limit is reached. Normal wear usually would remove a good .01 That would leave only .01 that could be used to make it flat again or you go past the limit.
                          I'm no brake expert and I've always wondered if you went beyond the service limit, how would that effect the braking? I'm not talking about removing unlimited amounts of material but what if you needed to remove .04 to make it flat again? Could the piston go too far out and cause a problem? Anything else you can think of regarding a too thin rotor? Would the new re-surfaced rotor become warped again too easily/soon?
                          I have no idea about the possibility of a slightly too thin rotor being weakened and breaking or warping early.

But I have a solution to you for the piston traveling too far:
                          Just replace the brake pads with at least .02 inches worth of friction material still on them.

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                            These were my thoughts too....the resurfaced rotor would look cosmetically perfect, but have very little (depending on amount taken off) service life left. Since the same rotors were used for a number years/models (in my case), good ones come up for sale fairly often at an avg price of $25/per, which is half what it will cost to machine warped ones. Car rotors are turned to achieve a cost saving over buying new, but for bikes it makes less sense (IMHO) with the costs involved.
                            Tony.
                            '82 GS1100E

Comment

When the rotors have gone bad on my truck and Suburban I've just bought new ones. The new ones for a heavy duty 3/4 ton Chev pickup only cost about $38, and it costs nearly that much to resurface the old ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X