Motorcycle Stereo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorcycle Stereo?

I rode a friend's Harley and it had a great stereo. I commute 80 miles a day and I really want a stereo. I've used ear buds and installed speakers in my helmet, but it's just not the same.
    So I'm going to install a car stereo in a tank bag or spend the cash for some handlebar mounted speakers and connect it to an Ipod or MP3 Player.
    Has anyone here done either of these to their bike?

I've had a few bikes with stereos...
    Can't say I've ever turned it on.
    Prefer my music without interference from road noise and wind...
    Prefer the sound of my bikes without interference from some lame music I can barely hear.
    Usually I remove it for storage space.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

a guy went by here with a stereo on his bike a while back. it sounded real good as far as stereos go but it was annoyingly loud. we could hear it for at least 1/2 mile. he was playing country. yuk. point is - you probably have to turn them up pretty loud to actually hear them. and there's gonna be somebody who doesn't like your kind of music so it's just more noise pollution. i'd stick with the earphones myself. just a thought.
      2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
      82 gs1100L probably the next project
      1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
      1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP
      https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2f1debec_t.jpg

Comment

I use my ipod, with small speakers installed in the liner of my helmet. Works okay. Could be better. But honestly, the music is not so loud as to be distracting to my concentration.

I ran a utility outlet off the battery to keep my ipod charged (cell phone, too). I was warned by a friend not to load up the electrical system with a bunch of toys that will diminish the bike's charging system.

All things considered, I feel this is a good compromise.

Comment

You realize, of course, that if you want to talk about stereo on a bike, the GoldWingers have it down pat. 8-[

One of the companies that I know of that can do what you are looking for is J&M. They have two products that might interest you:
          The Integrator is a device that you wear on your belt or in a pouch that fastens around your waist. It includes a FM receiver and accepts input from an iPod, satellite radio and/or cell phone. $120 plus accessories.
          Amplified Handlebar-mounted Speakers, well, the name says it all. These are apparently available only in chrome, and, are you sitting down?, cost more than some of us paid for our bikes. Yup, $500 plus your choice of mounting system. You can also add specialized brackets to hold your iPod or satellite radio.

If you go with the Integrator, you will also need speakers in the helmet. J&M has their economy model which is really rather good, and only $80. It includes a microphone, as most headsets are also used for intercom or CB use, but if you are just going to listen to tunes, you can cut it out of the system.
          Another option for in-helmet speakers is from EdSets. Cost is $127, which includes the standard cable. The standard cable enables you to plug in to the bike's intercom system. Since you don't need that, you can delete it for credit ($30) and make your own.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Motorcycle stereo: two cylinders in my left ear, two cylinders in my right ear.

Comment

did you ever try using your helmet speakers while wearing earplugs. it is counterintuitive to do so but works extraordinarily well if the helmet speakers are of good quality. earbuds suck.

got yhe tip on doing this from a former army helicopter pilot; he said they always wore earplugs under their headsets.

Comment

You could try something like this: http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/535729630.html

I found it while Googling for stereo tank bag. Someone used to make a tank bag with a built in stereo but I forget what the company's name was..........

Thanks,
                Joe
                IBA# 24077
                '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Yes that tank bag is similar to what I have in mind, but I want the speakers pointing right at me. I found that on my friends bike the speakers are aimed just right so you really don't need much volume to hear the music except on the highway.

I'm also considering this speaker kit which is $210. However I am MP3 Player challenged (never even used one). My concern is that the volume and other controls would be too clumsy with gloves.

Amp Kit - AK1A
                  Amp Kit for MP3 Player/Satellite Radio

• 100 watt micro amplifier (easy to hide)
                  • Mounting hardware
                  • Rumble Road speakers
                  • Stereo Connectors
                  • Wiring w/Fuse link
                  Note: MP3 Player/Satellite Radio Receiver not included.

Comment

Nice set of skull something earbuds and first aid tape over the ears works like a champ for long rides. 2 small pices keeps them in while the helemt goes on and keeps the bass nice also.

Comment

It's been my experience that if I want to listen to music while I'm driving, I'll just get in my car and go. On the open road on my motorcycle, I find that the music in my head and the ability to sing at the top of my lungs and nobody can hear me is more than entertaining for me.

Comment

I may be able to help you out, Pal! If you've ever seen a Vetter Cyclesound, you'll know that they normally mount to a Vetter Fairing. However, I found (and bought) a version of the same with mounting hardware for the handlebars of a "non-faired" bike and it is NOS! I never used the mounting hardware - only the "Cyclesound" shell that came with it, which I mounted to my Vetter fairing, along with the smoked hinged cover that protects the stereo from "weather."

Anyway, long story short I still have the mounting brackets as well as another Cyclesound shell that I'd be willing to sell you. I don't recall if ALL the hardware is there, but I'm pretty sure it is (along with some basic mounting instructions. Let me know if you're interested! The pros of this solution are that you can mount pretty much any car stereo you want in it. The cons are that the speaker enclosures won't accept speakers larger than 4" unless you do some creative mods (I've thought about doing the same to mine to get a fuller sound). Still, with decent four inch speakers I've gotten plenty of enjoyment from my setup.

Regards,
                        Last edited by Guest; 02-06-2008, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
                          I may be able to help you out, Pal! If you've ever seen a Vetter Cyclesound, you'll know that they normally mount to a Vetter Fairing. However, I found (and bought) a version of the same with mounting hardware for the handlebars of a "non-faired" bike and it is NOS! I never used the mounting hardware - only the "Cyclesound" shell that came with it, which I mounted to my Vetter fairing, along with the smoked hinged cover that protects the stereo from "weather."

Anyway, long story short I still have the mounting brackets as well as another Cyclesound shell that I'd be willing to sell you. I don't recall if ALL the hardware is there, but I'm pretty sure it is (along with some basic mounting instructions. Let me know if you're interested! The pros of this solution are that you can mount pretty much any car stereo you want in it. The cons are that the speaker enclosures won't accept speakers larger than 4" unless you do some creative mods (I've thought about doing the same to mine to get a fuller sound). Still, with decent four inch speakers I've gotten plenty of enjoyment from my setup.

Regards,
                          Thanks Steve,
                          That sounds great (pun intended) but I'm not sure if I have enough room on my handlebars to add it?
                          Is this what you have?
                          Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2008, 01:22 PM.

Comment

I think the Vetter Cycle Sound seems like the way to go. A friend of mine found another option. It's intended for ATV's & Tractors and it looks like it would work, but then I have the same problem with very little room on the handlebars to mount anything...

Jensen JHD910 Heavy-Duty Waterproof Mini AM/FM/WB Stereo with Audio Aux-in

Jensen JXHD35 Heavy Duty 3.5" Mini Weatherproof Speakers

ASA/Jansen Introduces Unique Mini Waterproof Stereo
                            By Press Release

Posted: Dec 4, 2006

ELKHART, IN (November 20, 2006)—As they say, great things come in small packages, and the new stereo by JENSEN® is no exception. ASA, manufacturer and supplier of JENSEN® Heavy Duty electronics, welcomes a very unique stereo to their audio product lineup. ASA is pleased to introduce the brand new JENSEN® JHD910 Mini Weatherproof AM/FM/WB Stereo! This one-of-a-kind stereo has exclusive and upgraded features ideal for all heavy duty and off-highway applications.

The JENSEN® JHD910 Stereo is equipped with an electronic US/Euro AM/FM tuner with programmable station presets that allow the user to listen to favorite radio stations while out on the job or having fun. The front panel is cleverly designed with a front audio Aux-In which also enables the user to listen to music through an iPod®, an MP3 player, or a portable CD player. Eliminating features such as a cassette or CD player reduces the potential of warranty failures and increases the durability of the stereo.

The JHD910 functions on 12VDC power, so no batteries are required. The stereo's 2 wire power connection allows the unit to maintain station presets. The unit's clock will also run up to 30 days if the vehicle battery is disconnected. The JHD910 is completely waterproof and locks out moisture, dirt, and grime. This allows the JHD910 to withstand even the harshest weather conditions and work environments.

The new JENSEN® stereo also offers a 7-channel NOAA Weatherband tuner so that drivers can be up-to-date on the latest weather conditions. The NOAA feature also functions in Weather Alert mode and will turn on automatically when inclement weather is on the horizon. The faceplate is corrosion and UV resistant, has a built in Jobsite Work Timer, and has backlit controls with selectable amber or green illumination. The display is also daylight readable and has a wide viewing angle. Other features include a ¼ headphone jack, 2-channel stereo speaker output, and one-touch audio mute. Dimensions are only 5-3/16W x 3-3/8H x 1-7/8D.

The JENSEN® JHD910 will be available to the industry in December 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by Pillage View Post
                              Thanks Steve,
                              That sounds great (pun intended) but I'm not sure if I have enough room on my handlebars to add it?
                              Is this what you have?
                              Yes, Sir ... that is the housing I have, along with the additional bracket kit I mentioned. Let me know if there's an interest and we'll go from there.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                              X