bar keepers friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bar keepers friend

i just used this when i cleaned my carbs.. and i have to say, it works FANTASTIC!

as far as i can tell, there is no residue on the brass, and it did not scratch at all the brass or aluminum. the jets look like they are brand new, so do the screws and washers. the auminum corrosion all but wiped right off.

Years ago, I was a manager for Domino's Pizza.

We used Bar Keeper's Friend to clean the stainless steel fronts of the pizza ovens.

Hard work, but beautiful results.

Would never have considered it for bike parts though.

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
    i just used this when i cleaned my carbs.. and i have to say, it works FANTASTIC!

as far as i can tell, there is no residue on the brass, and it did not scratch at all the brass or aluminum. the jets look like they are brand new, so do the screws and washers. the auminum corrosion all but wiped right off.

Comment

i was sitting there in the kitchen, scrubbing at a jet with a toothbrush with a little carb cleaner on it and i had a can sitting on the back of the sink, heh. i messed with my buddy when he came to look at the job i was doing (i've never taken apart a carb before!) and i told him i lost all the brass parts and ran to the dealer and got more.. he bought it!

Comment

Never heard of it. Where can you buy it?

Comment

Grocery store...like $1.10 USD for more than you'll use in 5 years. I think it's got alot of baking soda in it.

Comment

Originally posted by hp1000s View Post
            Grocery store...like $1.10 USD for more than you'll use in 5 years. I think it's got alot of baking soda in it.

that is all it's made out of. dunno what it is, but i tested two carbs with baking soda, two with bar keepers friend, and ended up doing the two with baking soda again with barkeepers. i was pretty happy with the results.

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
              http://barkeepersfriend.com/bkf_MSDS_01_07.pdf

that is all it's made out of. dunno what it is, but i tested two carbs with baking soda, two with bar keepers friend, and ended up doing the two with baking soda again with barkeepers. i was pretty happy with the results.
              Good info...guess I shouldn't brush my teeth with it, huh? Never analyzed it; just used it.

Comment

Its oxalic acid. It also works well for bleaching/weathering wood. :-) Its a relatively mild acid, but I would not consider brushing my teeth with the stuff. LOL Unless you intend to dissolve your teeth, burn your throat and poison yourself painfully. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by hp1000s View Post
                Good info...guess I shouldn't brush my teeth with it, huh? Never analyzed it; just used it.
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                  Its oxalic acid. It also works well for bleaching/weathering wood. :-) Its a relatively mild acid, but I would not consider brushing my teeth with the stuff. LOL Unless you intend to dissolve your teeth, burn your throat and poison yourself painfully. :-)

Earl
                  'ppreciate the advice. I don't really need ANOTHER way to abuse myself! LOL

Comment

nasty stuff folks full strenght it will pit metal
                    works like a charm at removing iron stains and rust though

yes it does

Comment

My wife tried that, and also a product called Zud for cleaning the kitchen sink. The Zud is WAY better. It's like magic. Dunno about polishing metal and such, though.

Comment

update!

don't use barkeeps friend to clean carbs unless you rinse it with carb cleaner. we found out it does leave some sort of residue, which reacts with gas and makes it a light white film. re-cleaned the carbs the old fashioned way yesterday

Comment

Working...
                        X