gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gasket

please don't hurt me, but i have a question for a short term fix.. i need to check my valves this weekend, apperantly, BADLY. soooo.. i can't get a gasket here in time for the day i have to go out and check'em.. if i am very careful pulling the old one off, could i get away with making a permatex red sealer? i've made pleanty of gaskets for low pressure car parts with pretty good sucess.. but didn't know if anyone has tried it.

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
    please don't hurt me, but i have a question for a short term fix.. i need to check my valves this weekend, apperantly, BADLY. soooo.. i can't get a gasket here in time for the day i have to go out and check'em.. if i am very careful pulling the old one off, could i get away with making a permatex red sealer? i've made pleanty of gaskets for low pressure car parts with pretty good sucess.. but didn't know if anyone has tried it.
    I did it last season with Permatex black high temp. It held for a couple thousand miles, but then started to leak again. Should work for a temp fix though. Make sure you don't use too much. I hear it's hard on the engine's guts if it breaks off in there after curing. IIRC, I laid down a bit on the head, set the cover on and finger-tightened all the screws. I tightened it for real the next day, after the Permatex had cured.

Of course, if you have to wait for shims...
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

It's a complicated gasket, so be a bit tricky, but you could make one with gasket paper. Grease the underside of the cam cover pretty heavily, press it to a sheet of gasket paper, and spend an hour or so with an exacto knife cutting it out.

Comment

If you're careful pulling the cover off and don't damage the old gasket you'll probably be able to re-use it without any sealant.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
        X