Putting rear wheel back on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting rear wheel back on...

After getting a new tire mounted, and let me just say that doing this by oneself is a major pain in the backside to say the least. Getting the axle back in through all those spacers and and bearings and caliper bracket while trying to hold the wheel up was about the most frustrating chore I've done for quite awhile.

It's all buttoned up except for the brake torque arm which I put a fresh coat of black paint on. But damn, there has got to be an easier way. I did try some pieces of wood under the tire to hold the thing up as close to being lined up as possible but still, AAARGH!!!

Anyone have any tricks of the trade for next time?

RJ

Assuming it's on the centerstand, put a small bottle jack with a wooden shim under the front of the engine.

Then you can jack the front end up (back end down) to make the back end line up as the wheel stands on the floor.

Comment

Wow, thanks Pete. I don't know why I did'nt think of that. I just keep getting more stupider and stupider in my old age.

RJ

Comment

Use grease to hold the spacers in place. I use my foot to push up on the tire while feeding the axle in.
        The first time is always a pain until you get a system going.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

A piece of plywood layed on a tire tube should help a bit. Just inflate to proper height.

Comment

Before you take the tire off put the pieces of scrap wood you'll need together to the right height so they fit snugly below the wheel. Makes it a little easier.

Figuring the height after tire is off or during the install is not going to be as accurate.

Comment

Working...
            X