slipping screwdriver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slipping screwdriver

This concerns those Jap screws that like to strip if you dont have the right driver. Before i attempt to strip one I put a small spot of valve grinding compound in the grooves This helps greatly to grip the driver to the screw. I hope this helps anyone. Happy Trails

Had the same trouble with phillips head screws! Had to grind the last one off when it burred I intend to replace all the phillips heads with allen heads... no more burred screws! However, I'll give your method a go next time I have to remove one.

Comment

I agree.Get them out however you can,then throw them in the bin.Cheers,Simon.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

i use pb blaster then hit it with the craftsmen impact driver. just bought it (today!). saved me my sanity!

Comment

You also should remember that Asian philips head screws are different than North American philips head screws, so often you need to check that you have the proper screwdriver bit to properly work on your bike.

Comment

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Originally posted by Clone View Post
            You also should remember that Asian philips head screws are different than North American philips head screws, so often you need to check that you have the proper screwdriver bit to properly work on your bike.
            He actually covered that in the very first line of this thread.

Comment

i find that i can get away with using ANSI screwdrivers on JIS screws if I'm careful, but I'm curious to how the big guys do it, as in guys with nice garage setups-do you use philips, jis screwdrivers and/or jis bit ends?

Comment

I work with 24 techs. All have limited Japanese background as well as German stuff. None have ever heard of Japanese type screwdriver tips being different.
                All of them have told me that when they don't have access to their impact drivers, they do it this way: spray with something like Rustoff or Pblaster, wait 5 minutes, whack squarely with at least a 1 lb. hammer, wait 10 minutes, lock on with vice grips OR use the tightest firring phillips bit you can find and push it AGAINST the screw gead while turning.

Comment

nice, i was told banging the screw would free the corrosion. good to know this is true.

Comment

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
                    I work with 24 techs. All have limited Japanese background as well as German stuff. None have ever heard of Japanese type screwdriver tips being different.
                    A while back, there was a thread on the difference between Japanese screwdrivers and American/DIN. I bought three Phillips screwdrivers made to the Japanese standard. While I can see a slight difference in the shape of the tips (or at least I think that I can) I've been unable to detect any difference at all in how well they grip screws, either American or Japanese. Maybe the manufacturing tolerances on the screws are too sloppy for precision tools to make such a difference.
                    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Tha Jap Phillips are not in fact Phillips at all - looks like a Phillips screw, but are designed not to cam out (useful for robot assembly lines). Heads are usually identifiable by a single dot to one side of the cross slot. Their correct name is JIS - all a bit technical but have a look at:

79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

i think they make a huge difference, i love em, wouldn't work on a metric bike without my set. best 20 bucks i ever spent.

my 2 cents
                        nick

Comment

Just bought ym JIS screwdrivers, two of them (#1 and #2 size)

Here ya go:
                          http://amessupply.com/products1.cfm?aid=1&cid=D&sid=DE&fid=1404070

Comment

If you ever want to compare these cross slotted screws, use one of those screwdriver bit sets. They usually have a large selection of every type of bit with short hexagon shafts. You can then compare the fit to each type of crosscut screw head and will be surprised at the difference. Once you have the right one check the size stamped on it and there you have it.

The trick is to use a very long shaft screwdriver rather than a short one, even if the bit is the same. If you need to move tight screws always use the longest shaft screwdriver that can get in there.

Comment

They should of used Robertsons in the first place, Ted

Comment

Working...
                              X