When You Renew Your License

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When You Renew Your License

I had to go down and renew my driver's license this month after many, many, years of just getting an update sticker in the mail.

Shower and close shave, dress shirt, conservative red tie, navy blue jacket, recent haircut, dignified smile for the camera.

It's all about what second impression you want to make on the law enforcement officer. You can assume his first impression of you wasn't good or he would not have asked to see your driver's license. This may be your only good shot at tipping him off what a clean, upstanding citizen you actually are. Might make the difference between points & dollars or a warning; might not. But it sure won't hurt. And it doesn't cost you anything.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Excellent advice. Try not to look like a serial killer.

Also, make CERTAIN that your motorcycle endorsement is still on your license before you accept it and pay. Make sure everything is absolutely perfect.

The cretins at the local Indiana BMV accidentally left this off a friend's license a couple of years ago, and even though the old license with the magic "M" was still sitting RIGHT THERE (he got to the parking lot before he noticed), absolutely no mercy was to be found from the crusty harridans who infest and impede our license branches.

After very nearly getting carted to jail after an hour or so of trying to correct this Kafkaesque nightmare, the poor SOB eventually had to pay for a new learner's permit, then pay for and take the Indiana skills test all over again a month later.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

Also, make CERTAIN that your motorcycle endorsement is still on your license before you accept it and pay. Make sure everything is absolutely perfect.

The cretins at the local Indiana BMV accidentally left this off a friend's license a couple of years ago, and even though the old license with the magic "M" was still sitting RIGHT THERE (he got to the parking lot before he noticed), absolutely no mercy was to be found from the crusty harridans who infest and impede our license branches.

After very nearly getting carted to jail after an hour or so of trying to correct this Kafkaesque nightmare, the poor SOB eventually had to pay for a new learner's permit, then pay for and take the Indiana skills test all over again a month later.

Read up on the Drivers Responsibility Fee in Michigan (and I think New Jersey and Texas). Then try and figure out how a forgotten seat belt ticket turned into $1300!! WARNING, I tell everyone... DON'T visit Michigan until this is repealed (as it is in committee for repeal AGAIN, while they still steal money from citizens). You can get hit with this nightmare by getting violations in MI, even if you live somewhere else.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2008, 08:26 PM. Reason: my spelling is awful!

Comment

Originally posted by juicydangershow View Post
        Read up on the Drivers Responsibility Fee in Michigan (and I think New Jersey and Texas). Then try and figure out how a forgotten seat belt ticket turned into $1300!! WARNING, I tell everyone... DON'T visit Michigan until this is repealed (as it is in committee for repeal AGAIN, while they still steal money from citizens). You can get hit with this nightmare by getting violations in MI, even if you live somewhere else.
        with no GM we gotta make money somehow

friend of mine had his liscense suspended.. they tried to take all his taxes this year for drivers responsibility because they basically assumed he was driving on it ( which he was ) but he spoke to the local magistrate and said " i have no tickets, you can't prove that i drove, i have no vehicle in my name " and they did eventually drop the fines. it's retarded.

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
          with no GM we gotta make money somehow

friend of mine had his liscense suspended.. they tried to take all his taxes this year for drivers responsibility because they basically assumed he was driving on it ( which he was ) but he spoke to the local magistrate and said " i have no tickets, you can't prove that i drove, i have no vehicle in my name " and they did eventually drop the fines. it's retarded.
          Oh, I fought it. But they took my refund. And were going to suspend my license if I didn't pay and garnish wages.

Got a seatbelt violation, forgot to pay... my fault.
          Get pulled over for yielding at a stop sign a year later.
          Get 2 tickets, 1 for the stop sign, one for having a suspended license (for not paying the seatbelt thing).

You have to go to court for a suspended license ticket, so I did, I admit my mistake. Ordered to pay $300 and to pay the original ticket... fine. I made even with justice!

Not so. A year later I get a letter from the Treasury Dept saying I owe $500 this year and next year as part of this fee for high risk drivers (people who drive on suspended licenses, I guess). Never even heard of that crap and would have gotten a cheap lawyer in the first place had I known that going into court. I just thought I would pay my fine to the legal system and be over with.

The scary part is:
          It took down a check and balance between the judicial branch and the administrative branch. You cannot appeal this to the Treasury Dept. AND unlike any other debt you might owe them (back taxes, etc), they can blackmail you by suspending your license again if you try and fight it and not pay.

My fine was through the judicial branch, $300 and I paid it for my mistake... but this is downright ridiculous. Its a legal mob.

Comment

That happened to me when I moved here from North Dakota. I took both the automobile written test and the motorcycle wirtten test, and passed them both. I was given my license and happily walked out the door.

Three months later, after my GS1150 and I were splattered on the pavement by a drunk driver, I was informed by the investigating officer that I ahd no valid motorcycle operator's license. I explained everything to him, and since he was a biker himself (Goldwing), he looked in the BMV file and found that there was indeed a record of my passing the writtten test and paying the licensing fee.

I never was given a ticket for riding without a valid license, but I did have to go through the rigamarole of retaking the written test, getting a learner's permit, then taking a riding test to get my operator's license. I was also out the original fees for taking the test and getting my license the first time.

Maybe the Indiana BMV does this purposely to raise more revenue........
            sigpic

SUZUKI:
            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

The license office is the only place I know of where the customer is always WRONG.

Comment

Not to drag this back to the original topic after derailing the thread in the first place...

...but Don is also well-known to always ride wearing a natty necktie, which serves to further maintain the appearance of respectability.

I mean, how many serial killers or quiet neighbors have YOU seen sporting colorful ties?

I also noticed a big decrease in the number of tickets vs. warnings when I finally cut my hair after college. My near waist length locks and patchy, ratty beard never did seem to impress the cops.
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Not to drag this back to the original topic after derailing the thread in the first place...

...but Don is also well-known to always ride wearing a natty necktie, which serves to further maintain the appearance of respectability.

I mean, how many serial killers or quiet neighbors have YOU seen sporting colorful ties?

I also noticed a big decrease in the number of tickets vs. warnings when I finally cut my hair after college. My near waist length locks and patchy, ratty beard never did seem to impress the cops.
                  at 28 the harrasment has ended for me, i own a brand new car so i guess they figure that i would cause a ruckus. between the ages of 18 and 28, though, i've probably been stoped a good 30 or 40 times.. 2 tickets. 1 for expired tags, one for 29 in a 25 :P

Comment

Yeah, but you were getting the chicks who wanted to be rock video $luts

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
                      at 28 the harrasment has ended for me, i own a brand new car so i guess they figure that i would cause a ruckus. between the ages of 18 and 28, though, i've probably been stoped a good 30 or 40 times.. 2 tickets. 1 for expired tags, one for 29 in a 25 :P

heh, im still waiting for the cops to leave me alone, from my teenage years of being in cuffs left and right its hard for them to believe ive gotten outof that life and got my act together, just turnd 22 and got pulled over 14 times (no tickets) sine may in my 1988 Bronco II, but thats always coverd in mud so they always makin sure its street legal. pulled over once since i got my class M permit (a month ago) and my 1980 gs450L but i dont have tags yet, just the temp papers so i got off it, but boy were they shocked when i was actually legal this time and not on the streets with a dirtbike

Comment

Originally posted by MissFabulous View Post
                        Yeah, but you were getting the chicks who wanted to be rock video $luts
                        Sadly, that also wasn't happening, although I was in a pretty busy classic rock bar band. I don't know what I was thinking back then, really.

Nowadays, I have my wife put a 1/2 inch guard on the clippers and buzz almost all my hair off every couple of weeks so I don't walk around with helmet head all the time.
                        Eat more venison.

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                          I had to go down and renew my driver's license this month after many, many, years of just getting an update sticker in the mail.

Shower and close shave, dress shirt, conservative red tie, navy blue jacket, recent haircut, dignified smile for the camera.

It's all about what second impression you want to make on the law enforcement officer. You can assume his first impression of you wasn't good or he would not have asked to see your driver's license. This may be your only good shot at tipping him off what a clean, upstanding citizen you actually are. Might make the difference between points & dollars or a warning; might not. But it sure won't hurt. And it doesn't cost you anything.
                          I think the real second impression comes when he runs your license and sees what kind of record you've got...

Comment

Great idea Don. Amazing what a difference our appearance makes, even though it really shouldn't.

My experience has lead me to the conclusion that the best second impression is your attitude and readily available paperwork. "Yes sir, I'm sorry sir, you're absolutely right sir..." goes a long way.

I blew off a stop light that wouldn't switch for me after 3 cycles waiting. I had looked all around and there were no vehicles in sight so I ran it. There was a cop just around the corner. Turns out he had been following me and was delayed in catching up to me due to traffic.

He checked my history and came back telling me he was letting me off with a warning. Said he could've had me for speeding as well. I thanked him and he said it was because I was corteous and respectful and had my paperwork ready for him before he got to me. He said it really annoys him when people, especially bikers, have to fumble around looking for it, particularly if they have pull their seat, remove lots of gear, etc.

Regardless, I'll never run a red light again. If I have to I'll pull a right on red and double back or something.

Comment

It's amazing how the cop's attitude changes and you are sent on your way when the helmet comes off and they see an old greybeard instead of a young hooligan.

Then you wonder what their motives are.

Comment

Working...
                              X