Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement windshield...do it yourself.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement windshield...do it yourself.

I was asked about comments made with regard to making your own replacement windshield. This will work very nicely on almost any fairing.

Make your own fairing-mount windshield

Other clear plastics will work, but my recommendation is the product name of LEXAN.

LEXAN is a product originally made for outer-space applications. It is stronger, for both weight and thickness, than other polymer products, such as lucite, and less prone to yellowing.

LEXAN comes with at least one side coated in sticky paper. Usually both sides are coated with this as a protective covering..

If there is only one side coated, this is the side you will use for marking the shape.
    When drawing, place the unprotected side down on a piece of soft cloth that is large enough to cover the entire area. This is an important step in avoiding scratches.

Step one

If you have an old windshield, or just the base part of it, remove it carefully from the fairing because you want to use the bottom part to use as a template for drilling holes in your replacement.

If you have an original full windshield that has yellowed or become badly scratched, but is the right height for you, remove it and it will be the full template for a new one, which can be an exact duplicate in size and shape.

Step two

If the original shield is too low, or too high, then get a piece or cardboard from a thin box ( a cereal carton will do nicely) and tape it against the original one.

Get someone to hold the bike upright while you sit on it, then lower or raise the cardboard until it suits you. No, it is not the same if you use the centrestand.

I prefer having the top of the windshield at least an inch below my eye level when I am seated comfortably. Note that if you have a passenger on board, the effective windshield height may seem to rise, depending on how it is mounted.

Once the height is found, tape the cardboard to the old shield and trim it to shape with scissors.

Step three

Remember to cushion the plastic underneath to protect from scratches.

Place the old windshield, or the new cardboard/shield template flat against the covering on the LEXAN.

A small tip.....unless you are very sure of your measuring skills, it is a good idea to make the new piece a bit taller than you think you need. It can be shortened later, if necessary, but not stretched.

Use a small-tipped felt marker held lightly against the shield or cardboard and trace the outline onto the covering.

Set aside the old part(s)

Step four

If you have a bench mounted scroll saw you just cut the perimeter of the LEXAN .

If using a portable jig saw or spinsaw (the blade looks like a drill bit and spins instead of moving up and down) then having an array of 2 x 4s helps here. They can be moved around to accommodate the blade as it moves around the work.

BE CAREFUL TO AVOID SCRATCHES.

That means lifting the plastic and moving the wood to accommodate the blade, then returning the plastic to the new bed.

Cut it and you are done, but DO NOT REMOVE the coating yet.

Now, place the original shield tightly against the new work, put them both against a piece of 2x4 or other wood, and clamp lightly.

Using the old ‘shield as a template, drill the new mount holes right through the old one. This gets you proper placement of each hole and the wood beneath it allows for a clean edge, without splitting.

Be sure you are using a sharp drill bit. If unsure of sharpness use a new bit.

A belt sander will do the needful for shaping. A bench-mounted one will be very nice, but a portable one works very well.

Use ONLY a “fine” grit belt.

It is best to clamp the new work lightly to prevent flexing while you sand it, and to prevent your cutting too deeply, which would given you the wrong shape.

A rough sanding is all that is necessary at the moment.

Fit the new windshield to the bike, using the stock mount mounting parts.

Note that this means you will need rubber (or other flexible material) washers and if there were none, or the old ones have perished, get new ones.

If you have the deep-centre washers that allow the screw/bold head to nest inside, use them on top of the rubber washer/spacer.

If not, use a stainless washer, and be certain you use a pan-head bolt or screw. This means the bolt/screw head will be flat at the point where it contacts the washer.

Snug them all in place, but do not tighten (the protective covering is still in place and must be removed later)

Now sit on the bike, with someone helping to support it, and be sure it fits well for you.
    If a substantial amount is still to be removed, de-mount the work and go back to the cutting bed.

Adjust as necessary with the jig/spin saw

If only a nominal amount of adjustment is needed, use the belt sander. FINE grit only while the LEXAN is mounted on the bike..

Once the height is adjusted, use the belt sander to clean up the final shape.
    USE A LIGHT TOUCH and KEEP MOVING..

Do several passes INSTEAD of a single heavy-handed one.

Holding in place for too long or using too much pressure. will cut away far too much material.

Once shaping is completed, put away the sander. There may be a temptation to finish the edge with it, but resist it.

Use a sanding block...the foam-based ones are ideal. Using the fine grit always, rub the edge of the plastic to take away any grit that remains.

Loosen the bolts/screws at the mount area and peel back the covering.

Re-tighten the fasteners.

Now the flexibility of the foam sanding block will help.

Using a light pressure, press the sanding block against the edge just enough to make it confirm to the edge. Do this slowly so you make no mistakes. This will round it off just a bit and give you a finished edge, without scratching the surface.

Now remove all the coverings and go for a ride.

My experience:

1/8 inch LEXAN mounted on a GK fairing does not distort, and has no flex or wobble, at 120 MPH

Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Would you please post a pic of your windshield? And thanks for the info.

Comment

Nice write-up, Ron, and it comes exactly when I need it! Now all I need is an original unmolested GK shield to use as a template! I guess I could settle for a nicely done cardboard tracing of one, hehe!!

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
        Nice write-up, Ron, and it comes exactly when I need it! Now all I need is an original unmolested GK shield to use as a template! I guess I could settle for a nicely done cardboard tracing of one, hehe!!

Regards,
        A photo should be fairly easy.....except for the fact that the GK has been partly hidden in the garage, with many things piled around it since last fall.

Having my back bent from being hit by a car at the beginning of May has meant all of my summer projects have been shelved.

I have managed to get aboard the Bandit a few times, but only for short distances. (and one heavy duty rainstorm.

Steve, I should be able to manage something close to a template if you need one.

The GK is wedged into the garage right now, and the back problem will not permit me to lift and swing the back end so the bike can be brought away enough for access and removal of the shield.

I feel sure I can get a pretty close version of a template made for you, if you wish. Send me a PM with your address, and I will get it done tomorrow.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I'll send you a PM shortly, Ron, but there is little need to rush on this - there are other things to attend to before the bike will be windshield-worthy. Also, I have some items to attend to on my G before the Moto-GP event next month and, for now, that bike takes precedence.

Thanks!

Comment

My bike has a Lexan windshield

Comment

Let me add to this to make sure you get the right thickness of Lexan. I bought the only thickness my local Lowes had. I had a broken off windshield to use as template for the holes and the cutting went well.

The windshield looked great but at interstate speed it bent back toward me. I had to push it back straight with my left hand as I rode down the highway. You need something thicker than I got.

I put the electronic calipers to in and it shows around .09 inches, somewhere around 1/11 th of an inch which is a pretty odd thickness. Make sure whatever you get is thicker, at least an 1/8th inch I would say.
              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Lexan is the trademark name for a brand of polycarbonate. Polycarbonate sheets can be found at McMaster-Carr. A sheet of abrasion resistant polycarbonate, 24" x24" is $50.75 plus shipping. I'm sure there are plenty of other places to get it, but I've dealt with McMaster-Carr for stuff for work, and have always gotten excellent service from them.
                JP
                1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                1992 Concours
                2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                2007 FJR

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                  Let me add to this to make sure you get the right thickness of Lexan. I bought the only thickness my local Lowes had. I had a broken off windshield to use as template for the holes and the cutting went well.

The windshield looked great but at interstate speed it bent back toward me. I had to push it back straight with my left hand as I rode down the highway. You need something thicker than I got.

I put the electronic calipers to in and it shows around .09 inches, somewhere around 1/11 th of an inch which is a pretty odd thickness. Make sure whatever you get is thicker, at least an 1/8th inch I would say.
                  Agreed, Don. I used 1/8 inch on my GK.

A point I did not mention, because I cannot allow for the application that someone else may have on their bike, is the final shape/size they choose.

When posting this originally, I overlooked the fact that mine was not cut to factory standard height, since I am not as tall as some riders. I will have to measure the final piece (I will not be home until Tuesday) to see what it is, but I think it was planned at about 3 inches shorter than the stock GK shield.

My experience with the replacement has shown nil flex on brief spurts up to 120 mph, and the same result over longer times when riding for several hours at over 100mph.

For a rough comparison, (different mount, different shape) the windshield on the bandit is five inches higher than stock, of the same thickness, and there was no flex seen at 135mph.
                  Last edited by argonsagas; 08-18-2008, 01:41 PM.

Comment

One question - is any of this sheet poly-carbonate flexible enough to make a shaped windshield like on my GS700? It basically wraps around the front of the fairing with two 80 to 90 degree bends.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark whiz View Post
                      One question - is any of this sheet poly-carbonate flexible enough to make a shaped windshield like on my GS700? It basically wraps around the front of the fairing with two 80 to 90 degree bends.
                      The short answer is "no." The more important, longer answer is "yes," if you create a template for the sheet that allows you to slowly recreate the bends with a heat gun. As mentioned above, "practice, practice, practice" with scrap pieces until you get the hang of working the sheet without either cracking it or causing it to bubble or haze over from too much heat.

Working plexiglass/Lexan actually isn't that hard once you're familiar with the nuances of the material and understand how to properly set up the forms needed to produce the shape you're looking for.

Regards,
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2008, 09:19 PM.

Comment

A hot sunny day helps too. I have stretched 'perspex' (that's what it's called in Aus) through some fairly tight bends after it has been sitting in the sun all day. I have also managed to shatter a few bits whilst trying the same bends in winter.

Comment

Working...
                        X