Rubber Workbench Mats??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubber Workbench Mats??????

Does anyone know where to purchase a rolled rubber mat to cut to size for my workbench top? I am having problems finding in the big box stores. Thanks!

Jmike

See if you can find a place that can get you a roll of Neoprene rubber. We use it for the bottoms of X-ray cabinets we refurbish at my work. I buy it in rolls but the place I get it from only sells in rolls of 100'. I haven't had to order any in 2 years so I'm not even sure if the place I got this roll from is even still in business. Maybe try a upholstery shop. The stuff I have is about 1/4" thick and very durable.

Comment

Maybe McMaster-Carr or Grainger?
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Harbor Freight sells low density rolls of rubber, designed for lining tool box drawers, etc. It's NOT the perforated stuff. I've used it under my kid's car safety seats (between the seat and the leather to prevent slipping) and it works nicely.

Regards,

Comment

Check in a farm store for the mats used in horse stalls. They usually also have a selection of tough floor mats in various shapes and sizes for use in barns, dairies, etc.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Drafting table top

I bought a roll of rubber/plastic that is used to put on top of the old style drafting tables. It has some give to it, but is tough and does not tear. If I remember right I got it from an office supply store for about $15.00 3-4 years ago.

Comment

The bestest stuff to use is the rubber that conveyor belts are made of, about 3/8 thick with rubber on top and bottom with kevlar matting embedded in the middle. It also makes indestructable mudflaps for your truck.

You can buy the tail ends of rolls really cheap from places that make the conveyors, most are odd sized but plenty big enough for a workbench mat or mudflaps.
              Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2008, 10:11 PM. Reason: forgot something, doh!

Comment

Originally posted by jmike0311 View Post
                Does anyone know where to purchase a rolled rubber mat to cut to size for my workbench top? I am having problems finding in the big box stores. Thanks!

Jmike
                You want cheap or spensive, thats the question. Rockler Woodworking sells an anti fatigue mat that is useful on workbenches. How thick rubber and why do you want it? Cushioning, protection of work surface and/or objects being worked on, looks?

Comment

ive been using 18 wheel truck mud flaps on my bench for 10 years . they were free at local truck stop (take offs ) they are tough as iron , chem resistant and FREE
                  ps ive used convayor belts as mats and they work good if you can get them free

Comment

Yeah, Sonny, I'm thinking "FREE" is the key word!!

Comment

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
                      Yeah, Sonny, I'm thinking "FREE" is the key word!!
                      why pay good money for rubber matts you can get free , yes i sound cheap so what , i make most of my tools to

Comment

Working...
                      X