Homemade carb dip basket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade carb dip basket?

Has anyone got tips on making a dip basket to fit a gallon can of carb cleaner?

Locally, I've been unable to find carb cleaner cans with an included basket, or separate baskets for less than barrel size. I can find Kleen-flo carb cleaner in 4l (1gal) cans - no Berryman's here - but there's no dip basket.

I figured I can make a dip basket with some coat hangers and perforated metal from the chicken wire section of Home Depot, but I figured I'd ask is someone found a better way before I embark on what's sure to be a fiddly project.

- Richard

Like that ^^^

More seriously though, what about like a little mini kitchen flour sive? from the supermarket or something, just al little mesh basket, surely they would have something like that for a few bucks?, or even a $2 / cheap junk store?

Oh yeah, americans, sorry ummmm hmmm stereotype on american shopping...

Try walmart?

Sorry the TV told me so.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-18-2008, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skidMarkNZ View Post
      More seriously though, what about like a little mini kitchen flour sive? from the supermarket or something, just al little mesh basket, surely they would have something like that for a few bucks?, or even a $2 / cheap junk store?
      Yeah, I thought there should be something in a kitchen supply place, and have been keeping my eye out in the supermarket. Next time I'm in to buy some hardware, I'll have to wander down the kitchen aisle at the (ahem) Canadian Tire.

Thanks,
      - Richard

Comment

Just dunk it in with a coat hanger hook, pull it out the same way?
        The little baskets are a pain in the ass anyway.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Richard, I use Kleen Flo as well. I'm pretty sure us Canucks can't get Berrymans. Kleen Flo works amazingly good, as I've dunked about 20 carbs with it already. I pour it in an old coffee can (the big ones) and it will fit two carb bodies fairly snug, but there's also some room on the top for the basket you speak of. I bought my little flour shaker baskets at C.T. as well. They DO sell them, and about $1 to boot. I just bent the handle up a bit so things were good and put all my little bits in. Carb bodies get wire through float bowl screw holes so I can lift them out.

One thing about the Kleen Flo, if you do it in the garage, make sure your bucket is covered or you'll die from the fumes. Just putting a piece of wood over it even without sealing REALLY helps.

Comment

I found a small veggie steamer and it works great for small parts.
            Throw them in, close it up and drop it in.. Can't remember where I got it though.

Comment

Originally posted by dardoonk View Post
              I found a small veggie steamer and it works great for small parts.
              Throw them in, close it up and drop it in.. Can't remember where I got it though.

I would have thought the pepper seeds would get caught in the piping.

Comment

Similar approach to those above, I raided the kitchen, used a small kitchen strainer with the handle bent straight up that just fit in the mouth of the gallon can and allowed me to replace the top while soaking my carb bits. Then I bought my wife a new and bigger one and replaced it in the drawer.

Comment

I personally just buy Chem-Dip carb cleaner from NAPA. It comes in a one gallon "paint can" and it has a strainer already inside.

Be warned though, this stuff is very effective. It seems to eat anything but aluminum and brass. But the vapor fumes will hang in your clothes for days, so use it outside if at all possible. And only open the can when your completely ready!! Let everything soak over night, and be wearing rubber gloves when you remove your parts. As you remove them, spray them down with any carb cleaner to remove any of the residual Chem-Dip.

After that you'll have parts that look almost brand new.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaggo60 View Post
                    Then I bought my wife a new and bigger one and replaced it in the drawer.

AHAHAHA

well trained!

Comment

Go to the dollar store and get one of those plastic potato mashers. Put the carb on the mashing part and lower it into the can. Works great.

Paul
                      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
                        Go to the dollar store and get one of those plastic potato mashers. Put the carb on the mashing part and lower it into the can. Works great.

Paul

Blimin clever canadian, dont be clever, we have to blame canada for things,not thank ya

Comment

Working...
                        X