Fuel stains - not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel stains - not

If you're draining your carbs for maintenance or long-term storage, just letting the fuel run out makes it hard to mop up off the cases and creates stains as it dries. Instead, put an old towel underneath, let the fuel drain into it, hang it up to dry and then toss it. No stains, except on the towel.

Be sure not to use a good towel, for obvious reasons.

I usually cut the bottom off of a water bottle out of the recycle bin and drain into that. Dump it, light it on fire, whatever you want to do with it. An old towel would work though.

Comment

i got drain tubes on my gs which drain on to the floor, or into a container if im feeling enviromentaly friendly lol
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I cut the bottom 2" from oil bottles, clean them out, and catch the gas in there. Then I put the gas back in the gas can. I use the tops of the oil bottles for funnels.

Comment

I just use a piece of cardboard bent into a V shape, stuff it under 2 carbs at once, remove the screws and let them and the fuel fall into onto the cardboard and then into a container and then retrieve the screws from the container. No stinky fingers that way. The original owner wasn't so diligent and I have stains on my case.
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
          https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Another choice, cut the side out of a small drinking water bottle at an angle so the hole includes part of the bottom, it will reach under the inboard carburetor easy enough, then pour it back into the gas tank. Usually don't spill a drop if I'm careful and lucky.
            Last edited by tkent02; 10-26-2008, 12:12 PM.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Next natural question is: If you have stains already has anyone found an easy clean-up?
              Last edited by Guest; 10-27-2008, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Actually, I've always used an aerosol spray paint can lid! Works like a charm & is small enough to hold with your hand under the carbs! To each their own, whatever works, right?!! Ray.

Comment

I take them off and drain them through the vent lines into a bucket.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                  X