Going to buy need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to buy need advice

Hi, my name is Aaron and im about to invest in a 1982 GS 1100 and i was wondering if there are any speacial things i should look for while checking the bike over before purchase. Thanks

Hi Aaron, Welcome to the forum mate. You shouldn't have too many problems with your bike, these bikes are bullet-proof and that's why we love them.

Some of the other guys will be along shortly and tell you specific things to look out for. Tell us a bit more about the bike and where you are located and you will get more 'specific' advice.

BTW - If you put your location in your 'profile' we are better able to help because if there's someone close to you they may be able to give a hand with things.

Enjoy the ride.

Comment

Oops, almost forgot - your 'profile' is located under the 'quick links' button on the top right hand side of the page ........................................^ up there ^

Comment

Check out your mechanic skills first.

Welcome to the best motorcycle forum on the net!
        The Suzuki GS is a simple and reliable bike with new parts available, but because of it's age dealerships will be reluctant to do your repairs. So it will be up to you to maintain. If you're OK with that, you're going to have BIG FUN.
        One thing I wish I knew before I rode my bike home: The petcock diaphragm was worn out, so gas was sucked down the vacuum tube into the #2 cylinder. The bike kept flooding so bad, raw gas was dripping out the header pipe. Took days to figure this out.
        The quick fix is to set the petcock on Prime, then fold and tie the vacuum hose so it's shut tight. No air or gas getting into the vacuum port. Bike will run normally, you can get a new petcock or diaphragm later.
        Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 02-20-2009, 09:00 AM. Reason: advice
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by areid2009 View Post
          Hi, my name is Aaron and im about to invest in a 1982 GS 1100 and i was wondering if there are any speacial things i should look for while checking the bike over before purchase. Thanks
          Chain or shaft drive?

Comment

Bring along a voltmeter and check the running voltage on teh batery, should be around 13.9 or more at 4000 rpm. Any less and the RR or stator is toast.
            Figure 130 for a stator and 40 for a RR. See my signature byline for a RR.
            Erratic idle or too fast idle (above 2000) is usually intake boots between the head and carb, or o rings under the intake boot carb boot. Not terrible expensive to fix but a headache to take it apart and replace.

Obviously accident damage or mismatched parts are a clue. Speedometers are sometimes swapped out to lower the mileage, that takes a little more knowledge about the bikes than you have on hand but a few pictures posted here and we can usually tell if the clocks are correct for that year.

Leaks around the forks are cheap to fix but again a bit of work. If it is a shaft drive the splines in the rear that drive the rear wheel go bad, over 30K miles I would expect to have issues there. About 100 dollars new and 25 used to fix it.

We do need to know what model, E, L, G, so we can better recommend an inspection.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Greetings All,
              Not sure when Aaron will be back on here but I know the details that will help Y'all provide better answers to his questions.
              I directed him here after perusing the site and seeing that for a GS 1100 owner this seems to be THE PLACE TO BE.

The bike is a 1982 GS 1100 G shaft drive w/24K miles and is pitched as "Runs and rides great"
              Recent things done:
              Ignition Tune up
              Fork seals
              Brakes
              Fluids Changed

Aaron lives in Indianapolis, Indiana and the bike is located in Fishers.

Thanks In Advance,
              Hacksaw

PS He currently rides a 78 KZ 650 and any differences to expect -power delivery rpm- -center of gravity & balance- etc etc would also be useful.

PPS I am Aaron's Dad and a long time Moto Guzzi owner living in Lincoln, Nebraska

Comment

GS1100G compaired to '78 KZ 650

"Thanks In Advance,
                Hacksaw

PS He currently rides a 78 KZ 650 and any differences to expect -power delivery rpm- -center of gravity & balance- etc etc would also be useful.

PPS I am Aaron's Dad and a long time Moto Guzzi owner living in Lincoln, Nebraska"

Hey Hacksaw,
                I ride a GS1100G with 27000 miles. It weighs 550 Lbs wet. Power curve is a flat incline, because the bore/stroke ratio is equal, so it does not get on the cam like a sport bike. It's easy to control at low RPMs and speed. the weight is low, balance is great. The bike is designed for long distance riding, however I use it like a sport bike, for 1-2 hour joy rides. The engine and gas tank are wide, I have superbike handlebars on it, the sitting position is upright, the seat is wide and flat. See my photo gallery.
                Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 02-20-2009, 11:45 AM. Reason: clean up
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I would be happy to go with him and look at the bike if our schedules work out.

Send me a pm.
                  sigpic

SUZUKI:
                  1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                  HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                  KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                  YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                    I would be happy to go with him and look at the bike if our schedules work out.

Send me a pm.
                    You're a lucky man. Indianapolis has some of the best GS'ers around. I know this because they've helped me a ton.
                    I have some time tomorrow (Sat) if you and Griffin look at it tomorrow, I'll tag along. I have until around 6:00pm. Brett (Griffin) has forgotten more about bikes than I'll ever learn. PM me and I'll send my number.
                    Larry D
                    1980 GS450S
                    1981 GS450S
                    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                      You're a lucky man. Indianapolis has some of the best GS'ers around. I know this because they've helped me a ton.
                      I have some time tomorrow (Sat) if you and Griffin look at it tomorrow, I'll tag along. I have until around 6:00pm. Brett (Griffin) has forgotten more about bikes than I'll ever learn. PM me and I'll send my number.
                      Be careful not to give the seller the impression of ganging up on him.
                      It might not help Aaron in his negociation process.
                      McLoud
                      '79 GS850
                      `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                      sigpic
                      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

Originally posted by mcloud View Post
                        Be careful not to give the seller the impression of ganging up on him.
                        It might not help Aaron in his negociation process.
                        Gang up on him ?!?!
                        Heck we just might kick the guys azz and take it from him !!!! Just kidding.
                        Just trying to give the guy some support. But, your point is well taken. However, it may help the buying process when the seller realizes he's not going to get anything past us......
                        Larry D
                        1980 GS450S
                        1981 GS450S
                        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Thanks for the offers of assistance.
                          Aaron works second shift in Shelbyville and I think the plan is for him and his older brother to go over tomorrow and close the deal.
                          The negotiations that were possible have been done and the price agreed to is firm provided that it shakes out as represented.
                          Aaron is NOT looking for a 'project' but a "fire it up-ride it home" and this one is supposed to be just that.
                          I will get a message to him to contact those of you offering help before they head out.
                          By the way Y'all are behaving if I didn't know better I'd think I was on a Moto Guzzi forum.
                          Thanks again,
                          Hack

Comment

A big Canuck welcome from the West Coast of Canada.

Any and all questions Aaron may have will be answered here by informed and very experienced GSr's. The people here are invaluable resources for anyone who owns a GS motorcycle.

Just remember, its a 25 year old bike, they are not new bikes so some general maintenance may be in order. It is a good strong bike to put some money into
                            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Working...
                            X