Easy removal of intake head boots without a Jap screwdriver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy removal of intake head boots without a Jap screwdriver

ok so i really couldnt see spending another 5 bucks on a screw driver to use maybe one day, so i opted to use a bit driver and a #3 phillips head bit.

what i did on all the screws is used some PB Blaster the night before whether it helped or not im not sure, if it even got to the threads im not sure. so i have a small ball-peen hammer maybe 8oz if that put the #3 in the bit driver on the problem screws and gave it a few good wacks to seat the bit in the screw better (it was a nice firm grip) and pushed as i turned and wow they came right out even the ones i partially mauled trying to just turn the screwdriver.

so for those of us without an impact driver, or a japanese screwdriver this should work just fine. none of my orings were as bad as the ones on cycleorings.com , but they were flattend right out just the same. and i also ordered the hex head bolts from them as well so i wont have a problem in the future with stripped screws.

hopefully this finds its way to help another member. the #3 bit i used is nothing special it was in my cordless drill kit i got at advance auto.

just be carefull cause when they do unscrew it is a quick unloosening and i thought i stripped a few heads cause they "pop" just like the carb screws do.

Yes this may work but it is no excuse not to have an impact screw driver when owning a UJM. It's like a DR without a stethoscope.
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

yeah i know but if you dont have the funds to buy one right yet or feel like driving 20+ miles to find and buy one this will work just fine

Comment

I used a impact driver to remove exhaust bolts. Works like a charm
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Can't get much cheaper than this.

Comment

I'm guessing you were talking about the intake boots..??? that's what I got out of your post and those I didn't have my impact driver with me and I had that urge to do something so I clamped a pair of vicegrips on the head of the screw as hard as I could and started them that way. It mangled the heads of them but I was replacing them anyway.

+50 on having an impact driver though. Mine has saved me so much heartache by just removing some screws that would otherwise not have came out!

Comment

Working...
            X