stainless hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stainless hardware

Need source for stainles steel (SS), studs for exhaust. Anyone know where I can get 8 MM X 1.25 X 60 mm SS studs ? None of the SS bolt suppliers can get them for me. The longest they can supply is 50 mm. Zinc is somewhat rust resistant but at grade 5 isn't hard enough. grade 8 (black) will rust badly. SS is what I need but can't find them in the length I need. Any help is appreciated, and thanks.

Terry
    1980 Suzuki GS550E, 1981 Suzuki GS 1100EX all stock, 1983 Suzuki GS 1100EX modified, 1985 GS1150E, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll 500 H1, 1973 Kawasaki Mach lV 750 H2.

Originally posted by headsbikesmopars View Post
    Need source for stainles steel (SS), studs for exhaust. Anyone know where I can get 8 MM X 1.25 X 60 mm SS studs ? None of the SS bolt suppliers can get them for me. The longest they can supply is 50 mm. Zinc is somewhat rust resistant but at grade 5 isn't hard enough. grade 8 (black) will rust badly. SS is what I need but can't find them in the length I need. Any help is appreciated, and thanks.

Terry
    I got a nice set of studs for bike exhaust from NAPA. Not SS but they were pretty good.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Not sure if they have them but take a look around here. Huge inventory of various fasteners and such. Fast shipping as well.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Yes, McMaster-Carr has them.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

They ship FAST, and the shipping charges are quite reasonable. I love buying stainless bling from McMaster-Carr.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

WOW ! Yes ,..they have what I need. Many thanks for the heads up. Two thumbs up !! To you guys.

Terry
          1980 Suzuki GS550E, 1981 Suzuki GS 1100EX all stock, 1983 Suzuki GS 1100EX modified, 1985 GS1150E, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll 500 H1, 1973 Kawasaki Mach lV 750 H2.

Comment

I don't think they have the studs, but another good source for stainless gewgaws is: http://boltdepot.com

The nice part is that you can order whatever quantity you want. With McMaster, most fasteners come in packages of a certain fixed quantity (10, 25, 50, or 100) which may be far more than you need.
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

only problem with bolt depot is the fixed shipping for small orders. I like to order a mess of stuff at once through them to make it worth not going down to the local hardware store

Comment

I have purchased some SS bolts from the bolt Depot. Another good source. They can't get the SS studs longer than 50mm.
                Terry

Comment

Just curious why you need grade 8 for fastening into aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
                    Just curious why you need grade 8 for fastening into aluminum.
                    I don't think anyone mentioned grade 8 -- just 8mm diameter was needed for the exhaust studs.

And besides, stainless fasteners are not graded.

Stainless steel is very strong and hard, but it is somewhat more brittle than steel. Stainless is not suitable for brake or suspension fasteners, or for applications where the "stretch" of the fastener is a factor, like the bolts that hold the upper and lower case halves together.

Other than that, my bikes are pretty much covered in stainless...
                    Eat more venison.

Comment

I prefer to use SS studs for the exhaust is because SS will not rust or corrode. Will always look good. I use studs for the exhaust because I have pulled more threads than I care to remember. And yes...I use an inch lb, wrench. The PO's did not. OK ??

Comment

Just a comment you may find helpfull ......

While good quality stainless steel wont corrode the ally its going into will still oxidise (heat & damp causes eloctrolisis) so to prevent problems later on any steel fixing into ally should always be treated with a small smear of anti sieze compound such as copperslip, lots easier than drilling out a snapped stainless bolt in a years time

tone

Comment

Yes, stainless into aluminum always, always, always gets a good coat of anti-seize.
                          Eat more venison.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            I don't think anyone mentioned grade 8 -- just 8mm diameter was needed for the exhaust studs.
                            Check the first post.

Comment

Here's a site on fasteners you might find interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X