helmet question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

helmet question??

I bought a helmet last summer. It fits fine,but while wearing it for 4 hours straight during my training course my ears would start to hurt like some one was punching them?? ive checked the padding and it is all one piece. my question is , is this normal to feel that after so many hours of wearing it? if not is there a trick to get it to stop lol.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

1st reaction: Helmets that fit, fit. They feel like they're painted on.

2nd reaction: Yeah, well, after four hours having your head in a fiberglass ball can suck. You might check to see if there is any soft foam that's pressing in on your ears that could be removed. I wouldn't touch the Styrofoam.

My helmets press on the front center of my forehead. I thought I'd checked for that when I bought my new one, but after an hour or two I start noticing the pressure even so.
    Mark Fisher
    sigpic
    ..............................27 years

Comment

What brand is it?
      You might be able to try the next size up liner to see if that feels better.

I don't have any pressure issues with my HJC AC-12 but I did try on about 20 different lids before I found one that fit just right. Not all lids fit the same even within the same manufacturer.

I had the same forehead pressure issue with the HJC CL-15, CL-SP and CS models..
      The FS-10 and AC-12 had a better fit for me..
      Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2009, 04:03 PM.

Comment

my scorpion pushes on my ears after a real long time its not unbearable, but after a while my ears hurt a bit. Just take a pit stop every once in a while like your supposed to do anyway

Comment

If the problem is the soft padding mashing your ears, you can split a seam on the liner, excise a bit of foam, and sew it back up. This won't make the helmet any less safe.

I must have a freakishly bulbous forehead. On almost every new helmet I've had to use a wooden spoon to compress the hard foam slightly in the forehead area. There are also many helmets that have a seam right at the edge of the forehead foam that digs into my vast forehead. Usually I take a couple of stitches through the liner further up to move the seam out of the way.

The point is, don't be afraid to make slight modifications.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            .... On almost every new helmet I've had to use a wooden spoon to compress the hard foam slightly in the forehead area.....
            Do you leave the wooden spoon in while wearing it?

Comment

Heads come in different shapes, and helmets come in different shapes. Unfortunately, consumers don't have a way to measure head shape and compare it to helmet shape, except by trying on lots of helmets. That's the only reason that I know for paying outrageous helmet prices at local stores.
              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I have to get freakishly huge helmets too. i'm only 5'6'' but have to wear XL helmets or else they don't go on. I always try them on first because I have trouble finding ones that fit comfortably for a min let alone for a couple hours. I wish I could order one online but I know it wouldn't fit.

Comment

My helmet makes me look like I'm 5. =/

It fits great...hell, even slightly difficult to pull over my ears... But it's HUGE! lol. It's a LS Custom in Platinum. . . http://www.benchmarkhelmets.com/products/custom-helmet_12/laura-smith-custom-helmet-platinum_32.html

Edit: And no...I didn't pay full price... eeesh.

Comment

Originally posted by kparkfan View Post
                    I bought a helmet last summer. It fits fine,but while wearing it for 4 hours straight during my training course my ears would start to hurt like some one was punching them?? ive checked the padding and it is all one piece. my question is , is this normal to feel that after so many hours of wearing it? if not is there a trick to get it to stop lol.
                    Once helmet is on, unfold your ears....
                    McLoud
                    '79 GS850
                    `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                    sigpic
                    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

lol it about rips them off when i put it on. my wife told me to have an ear job done to solve the problem. my ears arent that big i dont think any ways. i think i just need to break the helmet in. i havent worn it all that much.
                      I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
                      1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

^^^^^ That pretty much sounds to me like the solution. Just wear it for a little while every day when you're not doing anything (plus it gives you an excuse to crank the volume on the TV) and the padding should break in and be at least a little more comfortable. If that doesn't solve it, maybe you can try the liner for the next size up. So I'm told, M and L helmets pretty much have the same shell, just different sized padding inside. It's when you start breaking into the extreme sizes (XS and XL and such) that the shell actually changes size as well as the internals.

Not sure what size you wear, but maybe you could try the different liner if you're still uncomfortable after your break-in, provided this doesn't cause your helmet to feel less secure on your head.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          If the problem is the soft padding mashing your ears, you can split a seam on the liner, excise a bit of foam, and sew it back up. This won't make the helmet any less safe.

I must have a freakishly bulbous forehead. On almost every new helmet I've had to use a wooden spoon to compress the hard foam slightly in the forehead area. There are also many helmets that have a seam right at the edge of the forehead foam that digs into my vast forehead. Usually I take a couple of stitches through the liner further up to move the seam out of the way.

The point is, don't be afraid to make slight modifications.
                          this scares me! All of the info I've read ever about helmets state that once the eps liner is deformed that area has lost it's ability to absorb impact properly. Not my head in there but never mod your helmet.

Comment

Originally posted by briyenkieth View Post
                            this scares me! All of the info I've read ever about helmets state that once the eps liner is deformed that area has lost it's ability to absorb impact properly. Not my head in there but never mod your helmet.

This may have some truth to it, and I'm not trying to talk in its complete defense, but that info has to be in there because if you don't say outright "DON'T DO THIS!", someone's going to. Now, one may be able to modify the helmet a bit, but if you tell someone small modifications can be done, they're gonna take it a step further because that's just human nature. I have to think that making a small modification like that is possible to an extent because the helmet's inner materials have to break in and form to the shape of your head, so they're expected to not have the original shape they had out the box.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by jabberjoe87 View Post
                              my scorpion pushes on my ears after a real long time its not unbearable, but after a while my ears hurt a bit. Just take a pit stop every once in a while like your supposed to do anyway
                              Scorpion sells different sizes of cheek pads, or do what I did and trim back the foam yourself.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X